• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brownish ring on traditional mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Hezzer78

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 31, 2013
Houston, Texas
I started a 3 gallon traditional mead batch on 2/16.

9 lbs huajilo honey
water to ~3 gallons
5 g of 71 B
Fermaid K/DAP (80:20 ratio) w/ SNA

Ferment went great - racked from primary bucket to 2ndary 3 gallon carboy. When I did this, I racked it on to k-metabisulfite and added some k-sorbate the next day.

I'm noticing this brownish, kind of yeasty looking ring around the top of my carboy - I'm not sure if it's something to worry about, or maybe it came from the k-sorbate I added and it didn't get mixed in well?

Is this an infection or anything to worry about? It doesn't smell off..

Thanks! :)
IMG_1023.jpg

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
Well I had this happen. I left it till. Then when the brew was out I filled the carboy with water all the way to the top left it there for a day and the ring came off easily with a bent brush. I just used one of those kitchen style ones with the metal wire center and bent it to the angle of the carboy neck.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns