PDA

View Full Version : Here's an interesting read on yeast and possibly the future of fermentation

Squatchy
03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
http://gizmodo.com/using-yeast-dna-to-unlock-a-better-brew-1593466606#

Medsen Fey
03-04-2015, 11:07 PM
The future looks bright and there will be a lifetime of novel things to test, and taste. This is going to be fun. :)

loveofrose
03-04-2015, 11:20 PM
I've often though about writing a grant on this. An entire lab of beer snobs could figure this out in a few years and start a company to put all others out of business. No one has talked me out of this yet...

Can you imagine your job to be drinking and describing esters from >5000 yeast variants? Somebody has to take one for the team...

Better brewing through science!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

JDWebb
03-08-2015, 02:58 AM
What will that do to Fleischmann's I wonder...

D47 for a loaf of bread? How about a fast fermenter, 1118 bread?...LOL

EJM3
03-10-2015, 06:15 PM
I don't know, that 1118 might just be too exuberant & make a BEA, Bread Explosion Accident. That or you might just add the yeast, wait a minute, then pop it into the oven before it BEA's.. :p:rolleyes:

GntlKnigt1
03-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Homer Simpson said...."Dough!"?

EJM3
03-11-2015, 02:46 PM
BTW: When I ran out of bread yeast a bit over a year ago I did end up with either D47, 71B or RC212 used as my yeast until I bought another Kilo of Fleischmanns...

When it comes to bread it seems yeast is yeast....

JDWebb
03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Actually, co2 is co2...and all yeasts make co2, right?! Thats all you need to make bread rise, right?...LOL I'm going to try it. I wonder what happens if I make a sourdough starter with it?

EJM3
03-14-2015, 05:57 PM
I was thinking of making a REAL beer bread soon, I've got an AG batch of heffewießen going at it right now & a past one just racked and in secondary. I could use a bit of DME, some good organic wheat flour, yeast slurry, let `em munch, slap the results in the oven. OK, I am so doing this! Thanks for reminding me!!

EJM3
03-14-2015, 06:59 PM
OK, done:

6 1/2 cups barley flour - Bob's Red Mill Organic
3 cups wheat flour - Bob's Red Mill Organic
2 1/2 cups filtered tap water
2 large eggs - From a friends organic farm
1/4 cup Light DME, boiled till hot break ~10 minutes
1 Tbsp Sel Gris (fancy sea salt)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup yeast slurry - Danstar Munich Wheat

Beat the eggs, add everything but the flour, mix well.
Dump in the flours, mix till thoroughly incorporated.
All in my bread container to ferment for a couple hours.

I'll bake a loaf in a few hours and let you know how it fares.

JDWebb
03-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Beer bread is good, I don't think the yeast will add any flavor. But here's my recipe

2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/4 tsp yeast
12 oz bottle of dark beer or ale

Mix until shaggy and there is no dry flour. Dough should be sticky, cover, and let sit overnight to proof. In the morning, flour your surface and pour dough out. Stretch and fold into a ball, do this twice about 20 minutes apart. Either put in loaf or proofing basket for second rise. Bake at 450º for 30 min.

EJM3
03-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Not looking for the flavor, just the action. Went to bed early, the dough is ready for me later today though...

smertz001
03-17-2015, 11:31 AM
EJM3, how did the bread turn out??

-- Steve

bernardsmith
03-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Beer bread is good, I don't think the yeast will add any flavor. But here's my recipe

2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/4 tsp yeast
12 oz bottle of dark beer or ale

Mix until shaggy and there is no dry flour. Dough should be sticky, cover, and let sit overnight to proof. In the morning, flour your surface and pour dough out. Stretch and fold into a ball, do this twice about 20 minutes apart. Either put in loaf or proofing basket for second rise. Bake at 450º for 30 min.

Is this a no knead bread? That dough seems very wet to me. I generally use a cup of water to 3 cups of flour

bernardsmith
03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
I don't know, that 1118 might just be too exuberant & make a BEA, Bread Explosion Accident. That or you might just add the yeast, wait a minute, then pop it into the oven before it BEA's.. :p:rolleyes:

I think that you really want bread to rise slowly. The protein threads will likely snap like elastic bands if they are stretched to quickly and that will result in a loaf without any chewiness. :smileinbox:

EJM3
03-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Bread turned out great! The barley does not lend itself to rising as much as wheat, makes a much denser bread, reminiscent of European styles (Doug should know the kind). Thick, heavy, RICH flavor, extremely toothsome, but NOT chewy, all kinds of goodness. Here's a pic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NHT5MfFPduSjFRZHFoQTZHSDQ/view?usp=sharing
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NHT5MfFPduSjFRZHFoQTZHSDQ/view?usp=sharing)https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NHT5MfFPduSjFRZHFoQTZHSDQ/view?usp=sharing

This is the no-knead method as arthritis stops me from kneading the dough. Just like it says, get all the ingredients ready, mix thoroughly, let rise for a few hours, pull a chunk off, bake at 425ºF for ~20 to 30 minutes. I use an old round cast iron flapjack griddle to set them on (like a pizza stone), with a pan of water in the oven on top of my heating element to supply a constant amount of hot steam. The bread was left for ~4 hours to rise, then I just pulled it out, set it on parchment, then used it as normal. Normal being: After rising, glove up, grab 1/3 chunk, form into a boulé, slit (forgot that on the first one), let rise for ~1 hour on parchment paper, bake until they are browned & sound hollow when thumped This is the recipe it was very loosely modeled after: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/ & http://www.food.com/recipe/egyptian-barley-bread-423725. I've been making homemade bread for several decades, this is one of the most killer recipes (Ed's killer bread??) for bread I have yet developed.

So, here's the mystery of the missing bread:

I had made 3 loaves of bread, set them out on a table on a wire rack to cool overnight, woke up the next morning, getting ready for a DR appt. Went to put my loaves of bread away, there was one missing! I searched the entire house high to low, I could NOT find that loaf of bread! Thought my partner may have grabbed a loaf, so went to my Dr appt, closing the door to upstairs. Got home and my partner said he did not grab one. So I knew it was my little 15 pound food whore of a dog that got it. Problem was WE could NOT find where that Got verdoemd little monster hid it!! So I decided to take a nap at that point, grabbed my dog, crawled in bed, cuddled up to her (she hurt herself a few weeks ago, still hurting, needs loving), felt a hard lump, thought it was the lumbar pillow, grabbed it & found my loaf of bread, in bed. Had the dog in my arms, the loaf in my hand & the biggest laughing fit that almost killed me! With her looking like the sorriest dog on the planet, more laughing ensued. Took it down stairs to my partner, he laughed, I laughed, she looked dejected as hell. Because I just took the 3 pound cookie away from her! Not a mark on the loaf, just managed to drag it upstairs and hid it under the covers. So much for being sick I say!!!

Should also add that I demolished the first loaf as of last evening, gonna start on loaf #2 tonight for dinner...

EJM3
03-17-2015, 04:30 PM
I think that you really want bread to rise slowly. The protein threads will likely snap like elastic bands if they are stretched to quickly and that will result in a loaf without any chewiness. :smileinbox:

I was going for a joke there actually...

ScottBehrens
03-17-2015, 05:43 PM
You should return the loaf to her. You got your money's worth and sounds like she earned it!

edblanford
03-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Dogs and bread do not mix well. I have a 14 pound Dachshund and 2 years ago last Christmas he managed to get a 3 pound Christmas Stollen off of a counter while we were gone. When we returned he couldn't walk and had eaten ALL of it except for a 50 cent piece sized chunk. A trip to the vet, stomach pumping and several hundred dollars later (we considered it a Christmas gift to him), he was home and looking for the remainder of the loaf and not happy when he couldn't find it where he left it (or more likely, where it left him). We have gotten better of keeping things out of his reach since!

ScottBehrens
03-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Never knew that. My GSD loves sandwich. Of course he doesn't eat 1/4 of his body weight. He was cured of his thieving ways when he was a puppy and jumped on the patio table and stole a hot potatoe just off the grill. He hasn't taken since.

EJM3
03-18-2015, 01:15 AM
If she had exhibited any of those signs then I would have taken her right away, as it was she hadn't taken even a nibble. She got "got to bed, no dinner (OK, she got dinner, but no treats, OK, OK, a FEW treats!)

Like father like daughter when it comes to my dog. We left a plate of bhut jolokia laced food out, some of it disappeared, she licked her chop, laid down, eyeing the next chance... I have been sharing hot spicy food with her for ~7 years, she's like me, 10 star is just the beginning on the slippery slope to hotter than Hades in a Venusian Summer heat wave.... {Glares at 15 pound dog}... [15 pound dog glares back {WHERE'S MY SHARE??}]