PDA

View Full Version : Stuck ferment (or did it even start)

Markmp
03-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Started a traditional mead in 3 gallon carboy on February 1.
Measured specific gravity 1.074 (seems low, might not have been fully mixed?). 1.108 calculated (10 cups raw honey). Shook to ensure it was mixed then added 1/2 of Wyeast direct pitch activator 4632 Dry Mead yeast.

Today I racked to 4 separate jugs and added different flavored to each. Before racking I measured the SG at 1.068. Tasted very sweet, but no off tastes. During the last month it seemed active and there was some foam on top.

Any thoughts? Should I add some more yeast?

JDWebb
03-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Did the Wyeast package inflate?

Markmp
03-08-2015, 06:50 PM
A little. It was my first time with this type and I don't think I waited the full time.

Medsen Fey
03-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Can your provide the details on your nutrient additions? How about other ingredients? Acid additions?
Can you check the pH?

Markmp
03-09-2015, 01:05 AM
No other ingredients added. I know there are potential issues with lack of nutrients, but in my previous 3 or 4 meads there were no issues. The only difference is that I used Lalvin D47 for previous meads. No PH taken before adding other ingredients.

Medsen Fey
03-09-2015, 08:38 AM
If you don't feed the yeast, poor performance is to be expected.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

JDWebb
03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I recently did a 2 gallon orange mead that I used Wyeast 4184 in, it took a long time for it to finally expand after I "smacked" the pack. It was in the fridge, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. I waited until it was at room temp before I pitched. It took a while to start up, maybe 24 hours, but when it did, it took off like gangbusters. I'm thinking maybe you pitched while it was cold maybe? You may have racked it too soon, but on the other hand, if it was well mixed, it should't matter if you put it into 4 jugs. You say there was foam at one point, that sounds like active yeast to me. Of all my projects I had only one I had two I had to re-pitch, and both were successful. I'm pretty much new at this too, so its all guess work on my part.