PDA

View Full Version : Shipping wine

JDWebb
03-13-2015, 02:30 AM
So I found this at the Wine Institute;

Is it okay for a private individual to ship wine?

No, it is never legal for an individual to ship wine. The US Postal services will not carry alcohol under any circumstances. Both FedEx and UPS have company policies that strictly prohibit accepting alcohol shipments from individuals for delivery. These rules are based on their requirement that only entities who have signed a “wine shippers agreement”, which has special provisions regarding liability and packaging requirements as well as reporting components for deliveries into the other states. These agreements are only available to license alcohol retailers and wineries themselves. A primary reason for this is also the special handling and adult signature requirements that are required for alcohol deliveries. The goal is to avoid any possibility of a package being delivered into the hands of a minor. Packages shipped under the wine agreements have to meet rigorous labeling standards, and cannot be handled in the normal default manner of other packages (i.e. adult signature (over 21 years of age) is required for delivery, there can be no signature waiver, and packages cannot be left even with a consumer signature request – the delivery must be made in person so ID can be checked.) Most states do NOT allow shipments from individuals to enter their state – regardless of these rules though, the carriers do not make such shipments.

Been trying to figure out how to send some mead to a few friends. How the hell do people send their wines to Mazer Cup?

smertz001
03-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Use FedEx or UPS they can be used for sending alcohol legally. It's a federal offense to ship via USPS. There are several other laws in place that allow for home brew to be shipped for some various reasons (like for competitions) specifically.

Of course I have never shipped beer, mead or wine myself. I have only ever shipped "marinades." (=

Cheers!
-- Steve

Medsen Fey
03-13-2015, 07:15 AM
Don't ask. Don't tell.
I have shipped yeast samples, gourmet vinegar kits, and marinades with no problems through UPS and FedEx.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

JDWebb
03-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Don't ask. Don't tell.
I have shipped yeast samples, gourmet vinegar kits, and marinades with no problems through UPS and FedEx.

Uh...thats not alcohol Medsen...LOL Unless I'm to read between the lines!

I sometimes marinate red meat in port or Merlot (the cheap variety of course), so I suppose "marinade" will work...I can even make a label up so there's no confusion.

ScottBehrens
03-13-2015, 06:49 PM
I have talked to my daily driver about this, we're on pretty good terms. He says they could care less. Even he doesn't know if its against their rules or not. He picks up boxes from my office and I tell him what it is and we talk about contests, etc. I think his words last time were 'Whats this more beer sh*t?. I've had some damaged before in transit so they know what it is when it empties. Sometimes they dispose of the whole box, sometimes just the broken bottle and send the rest on its way. Ive never dropped it at pack/ship type of places where I hear they ask whats in it. If you want to get around the part about failing to tell the truth, set up a account online and schedule a pickup. The driver wont ask.

danr
03-13-2015, 09:36 PM
I entered the Mazer Cup for the first time this year and shipped from the local UPS Customer Center. When I typed in my order it asked for the package contents. I sent "Honey Marinade."

JDWebb
03-13-2015, 09:41 PM
OK, OK, I'm gonna package my stuff up and call it "sour milk for the production of yogurt"...LOL

Medsen Fey
03-13-2015, 10:41 PM
I have shipped yeast samples, gourmet vinegar kits, and marinades...

Uh...thats not alcohol Medsen...

If my yeast sample happens to have fermented the medium in which is contained, that's not my fault. And a vinegar kit has everything you need to make vinegar (including etoh). Just open, dilute, and wait a few weeks - Presto! You have vinegar.

Shelley
03-14-2015, 06:00 AM
OK, OK, I'm gonna package my stuff up and call it "sour milk for the production of yogurt"...LOL

Hm. Maybe pick something that doesn't suggest spoilage during transit?

JDWebb
03-14-2015, 12:44 PM
So tuna is out...

ScottBehrens
03-14-2015, 12:53 PM
fromage ;)

Just say you are a cheese noob

Sorry, bottling day again. Its way too early in the day to be this wrecked on mead.