PDA

View Full Version : Is this how the airlock should look?

AlwaysWaven
03-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Checked this morning and my airlock is full and leaking. Is this correct? http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/fda243df1e850746723d4f332be1b95c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshmallow Blue
03-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Yes and no. It's properly placed, but it shouldn't be full of mead. Clean it out and replace or think about setting up a blow-off tube during primary fermentation. A blow-off tube is a piece of siphon tubing that goes into a bung / stopper that travels down into a jar of water. This way any yeast goop that leaved the carboy will travel through the blow-off tube and prevent pressure build up that would normally occur with a jammed airlock.

AlwaysWaven
03-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Hmm, ok. I guess I should be happy my yeast is working. Thanks!

Pete996
03-19-2015, 12:16 PM
When doing small batches in bottle like that I like to leave a bit more headroom in the bottle for just this reason. Once fermentation slows a bit you can top off with water to reduce the headspace.

AlwaysWaven
03-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Ok, I think I was too literal when it said "leave three inches of headspace."

Marshmallow Blue
03-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Ok, I think I was too literal when it said "leave three inches of headspace."

Leaving head space for primary fermentation is good, as it helps prevent the events happening in your picture, and air isn't getting to your mead since CO2 is being produced and pushing air and CO2 outwards. Once fermentation ends, less headspace is better. Getting it as close to the top of the carboy is ideal.

If you ferment in a larger vessel in volumes a bit over a gallon, you can rack into a full one gallon carboy.

AlwaysWaven
03-19-2015, 01:52 PM
How long will primarily fermentation last in this case?

Marshmallow Blue
03-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Usually a week- 2 weeks. The best way to tell is when the gravity has been stable for a week. Do you have a hydrometer? It measures the sugars left in solution. Once the sugars are gone, the ferment is done and it's time to age.

AlwaysWaven
03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
No, I saw the suggestion to order one after I had placed the order.

Marshmallow Blue
03-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Well for this recipe, it looks like you made JAOM, just follow the JAOM recipe and you'll be fine. Next time, hook yourself up with some nutrients and a hydrometer.

AlwaysWaven
03-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Ok, I cleaned it out yesterday and it seems to be working better this morning. Is it ok if I lost some yeast?

Marshmallow Blue
03-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Ok, I cleaned it out yesterday and it seems to be working better this morning. Is it ok if I lost some yeast?

No problem at all, there are hundreds of billions of cells in your mead by this point.