PDA

View Full Version : Just found a gallon of maple syrup I bought last year

McJeff
03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Never got around to making the acergyln I was planning last year and totally forgot about the gallon of fresh maine maple syrup I bought for it. The top has a bit of mold but I'm told if I skim off what I can and then boil the syrup again it should be fine. So my question since I have to boil it, why not just Caramelize it. anyone ever Caramelize maple syrup and ferment it? Did a search and I couldn't find anything.

Marshmallow Blue
03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Maple cream is just maple syrup that has been cooked down even further. So, you won't really caramelize it the way honey does, just make it thicker and thicker. I wish I had a gallon of syrup. I'd make straight up maple wine or a sweet acerglyn.

brentG
03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
I tap maple trees and make my own syrup. Sometimes, I want a batch that's as thick as honey, so I forget the candy thermometer and boil away. I've ended up with jars of really nice, thick, honey-like syrup, and jars that solidified into pretty much maple sugar.
I've been meaning to make a batch of acergyln for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. I've also been thinking about using the maple water instead of spring water, maybe boil it down a little to kill off the bad stuff.
As for your question, I'm confused by what you mean when saying "caramelized." Isn't it already caramelized once it's syrup? I am under the impression that's what gives it the maple syrup color -- the sap straight out of the trees is crystal clear.

McJeff
03-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Well I'm just assuming you can boil it down and "burn" it a bit to change its flavor profile. Never done it so not sure.