• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Unconventional Bottling Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

BigFootBrewing

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 24, 2015
CNY
Hey all! Brand new to the forum and super glad to be here. So here's my question, forgive if its a bit long winded :) :

When I first started doing fruit wines, I bought a bunch of standard 750ml wine bottles, and have since ran out. While I intend to order more, this got me thinking. I have a bunch of the Welch`s sparkling grape juice bottles left over from Christmas, and was considering bottling my first JAOM, in those.

Now, the corks seat nicely, however due to the flair in the neck of the bottle, only about 60-70% of the cork is tight against glass. Could I `fix` this problem by doing a wax dip over the corks? Would that provide a sufficient seal for a year or more in storage? I guess I'm just trying to recycle and save a little $ on bottles here, but I'm interested to hear your responses.

Thanks!

Bigfoot

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Welcome.

first off i dont see why you wouldnt be able to reuse them for bottling mead. Of course to remember to clean and sanitize. I think those bottles are more of a champagne style, so conventional corks wont sit right. Im sure someone else will be able to tell you better. Maybe buy some champagne corks?

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
We have the Colona corker and beer capper and it comes with the regular and large beer capper, we ordered a bag of the larger caps as we sometimes find one of those euro bottles mixed in with our regular ones and just do a quick switch and can now use them all. WVMJ

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns