PDA

View Full Version : ABV tolerance question

drbald1
04-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Hello all,
I've been lurking for years, and I've really gotten a lot of good info from this community. Hopefully I can find some insight into my situation.

This is my third batch. It's a standard mead, 5 gallons, 20 lbs honey (which was an error... we miscounted honey jars until too late), no boil. Red Star Cote des Blanca (2 packs), 1/2 tsp nutrient & 1/4 tsp energizer.

I racked the mead at around 3 weeks and again 3 weeks later. Everything's going just fine. I did a hydrometer reading today and we're at a very nice 14.27%ABV. My concern is that the mead is still bubbling away. I thought RCdB had a tolerance of around 14%, so I'm wondering how squishy that number is. It tastes fine, and I'm perfectly willing to be patient. I'd just rather not ignore a potential problem that'll result in jet fuel or something.

Insight? Thanks!

McJeff
04-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Just cuz it says 14% doesn't mean it's carved in stone. It can go a little above or below considering conditions. But the bubbling could also be some natural degassing.

drbald1
04-03-2015, 09:56 PM
I figured the tolerance was squishy.

Tell me more about "natural degassing". I thought yeast digestion was the source for gasses.

Medsen Fey
04-04-2015, 07:33 AM
When the yeast are done, the solution is still saturated with CO2 which can take a while to come out. If it warms up, it can definitely cause bubbling as it comes out. The way to know if fermentation is continuing is to measure the gravity and see if it drops.

Cote des Blancs can usually be easily stopped by cooling it down.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

drbald1
04-04-2015, 09:38 AM
So if I'm understanding correctly:
-waiting will allow degassing
-heating will increase degassing speed

McJeff
04-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Temp change yes, but don't heat the mead if that's what your thinking ;)

drbald1
04-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Wait... so.....I should take it off the stovetop?

Actually I was thinking about moving the carboy to a slightly warmer closet.

Medsen Fey
04-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Warming up may cause the yeast to push farther and drop the gravity a bit more as well.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

PapaScout
04-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Gently stirring the mead will degas it as well.