• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Lip Numbing Sensation - Is it just the alcohol?

Barrel Char Wood Products

pweis909

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2007
South shore of Lake Superior
I've been brewing about 1-2 meads / year for the past 6-7 years. I consider myself a novice meadmaker but have plenty of experience with beer fermentations. One of my meads in the past, and one of my high gravity homebrews in the past, developed something during fermentation (presumably fusel alcohol), that gave me an INSTANT headache, the kind that ruins your day and the next morning. Fast forward to the mead that I brewed last October. About 4 times over the last two months, I've tasted and dosed this with acid blend to get it to a point where I like. Each time I have tasted it, one thing I have noticed is an INSTANT lip numbing sensation. Is that just the ethanol, or is that characteristic of something else? I don't brew many high gravity beers and I never encountered this before, except perhaps when drinking spirits.

The mead tastes promising and I don't taste anything off. It is highly perfumy with a little bit of residual sweetness, and with the acid blend additions, it reminds me more of a semi-dry or semi-sweet Riesling. If I didn't know, I'm not sure I would be able to detect the apple. Perhaps this has to do with the acid blend, which has some tartaric acid in it. Even though it is not what I was going for, it is a pleasant surprise. I was thinking I would backsweeten, but I have changed my mind and am content to have a Riesling-like mead. Here's the recipe.

a 3.25 gallon cyser: OG 1.119 FG 1.012

2.5 gallons of cider from 3 Wisconsin sources (unpasteurized, no chemicals added)
9lbs, 4 oz of wildflower honey (approximately 7 lbs from 2 local source and the remainder from a friend who kept bees in Maine a couple years ago and still had honey)
Lalvin 71B, 2 packs.

I used a staggered nutrient addition based on articles from BYO magazine - if my notes are right, it was 2 tsp of a yeast energizer/yeast nutrient blend.
Acid blend to taste. (Wish I had better records on this).

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've had a couple batches that have been like that but most of them aged nicely and grew out of the mouth-numbing stage. I think it probably is fusel alcohols. These instant headache ones of yours, have they gotten less headache-inducing over time?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns