PDA

View Full Version : Aging Process

Irigoite
04-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Does stabilizers such as metabissulfite and potassium sorbate used before back sweetening can affect negatively the aging process?
I have read some articles that say sorbate may leave notes of pineapple os celery to the finished wine. If I am to hold my bottles for some time would the taste be affect in a bad way due to using stabilizers?
What is your experience about that?

danr
04-04-2015, 08:21 PM
I have never experienced any off flavors when using sorbate and sulfite. I have read cautions of using sorbate only without sulfite though; evidently this can cause a "geranium" aroma.

Irigoite
04-04-2015, 09:14 PM
What about the aging process? Does the mead with stabilizers still keeps improving with time just like a mead without stabilizers?

danr
04-04-2015, 10:40 PM
What about the aging process? Does the mead with stabilizers still keeps improving with time just like a mead without stabilizers?

Yes, stabilized mead ages very well.

Irigoite
04-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Thank you danr, I was really worried to add chemicals to my mead and spoiled everything.

Medsen Fey
04-06-2015, 05:31 AM
With sorbate, over a period if time it can form ethyl sorbate which can have an odor described as celery-like. I have not detected it in my meads, but the possibility exists that it may form. I'm not sure how sensitive my limited palate is at picking it up. I do try to use the lowest levels of sorbate possible.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

miss_rach
04-06-2015, 12:06 PM
I go at least 1 year before I think about doing anything with my mead. I also rack monthly and pretty much notice that around the 9 month mark I get less and less sediment and typically after I rack at the 11 month mark I don't get any. At that point either I fill wine bottles or put into 3 gal kegs and force carb and counter-pressure into Champaign bottles.

Chevette Girl
04-06-2015, 10:39 PM
I've got aged stabilized wines and aged unstabilized wines, they do both change with age but you're less likely to have adverse effects like oxidation if you've stabilized it.