PDA

View Full Version : I just started my first batch of Kombucha.

Squatchy
04-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Has anyone here tried using nutrients like we use making mead? Any thoughts to use or not to use?

Medsen Fey
04-06-2015, 05:48 AM
They simply aren't necessary for kombucha. I don't know if adding them might cause the yeast to produce more alcohol and throw it out if balance. Let us know how it works if you try it.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

bluestone
04-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Has anyone here tried using nutrients like we use making mead? Any thoughts to use or not to use?

I was experimenting with kombucha a couple of years ago.
If I remember correct I think I came to the conclusion that you should just use refined sugar and black tea and nothing else if you want to maintain that mushroom healty.
I think I tried different dried herbs like rosehip, hibiscus... and fermentables like honey, dark sugars, malt extract. Even though I wanted things like honey and malt extract to work it didn't in the long run and it started to produce an disgusting unhealthy partially deformed mushroom- scooby...

Just let it ferment with refined sugar and black tea and mix it with other herbs, sugars, alcohol, flavourings etc before drinking if you want that .

Medsen Fey
04-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I use honey in most of my Kombucha and haven't run into problems. I have used green tea, chai tea, rooibos tea, dandelion tea, and many variations of hibiscus tea (my favorites). They all work. The SCOBY and the plastic jugs I use look disgusting, but they work well.

Squatchy
04-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I just started my first batch a few days ago. I might mess around some once I get a little better along. I bought a water crock and plan to make a continuous batch. I'm not sure how to do it. Would I want to take out some from the crock and then add adjuncts to it to make it drinkable? And then just replace what I took out with tea/sugar/honey?

Medsen Fey
04-06-2015, 11:24 PM
A continuous batch may be difficult. Leave it sit for too long and it gets too sour to drink. I make it 1 gallon at a time, sweeten the tea to drinkable and pour it in. After 1 week it is ready to bottle, and after a week in the bottle it is carbonated like a soda and it goes into the fridge. While you can set up a continuous process you'll have to take and replenish fairly frequently - I'd guess at least every 3-7 days. I'll be interested to see how it works for you.