View Full Version : Forgot potassium carbonate in BOMM

04-08-2015, 10:48 AM
This morning, I threw together another batch of BOMM. As I was sitting here at work, I realized that I forgot to add the potassium carbonate.

This might sound like a dumb question, but will adding it later when I get home (about 9 - 10 hours after pitching) cause any problems? Since it is supposed to be an upfront addition in BOMMs, I wasn't sure if adding it to an active fermentation would have any adverse effects.

04-08-2015, 11:38 AM
The potassium carbonate serves two purposes. One, to supply potassium, and two to buffer the mead so the pH doesn't drop too low. The chances of your facing pH problems this early in your ferment are slim to none, and the potassium should be as effective after 9 hours as it would have been up front. If there are any potential problems with adding the potassium carbonate 9 to 10 hours after pitching I have to admit I can't think of what they might be.

04-08-2015, 03:30 PM
One word of caution. Pre-dissolve the potassium carbonate in a little water before adding it. If you add the dry powder directly to your fermenting must and you try to mix it in, the combination of chemical reaction with some of the acids present and the ready availability of nucleation sites that the powder granules provide for CO2 to come out of solution could result in a very large MEA.

04-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Just to follow up, I dissolved the 1/4 tsp of potassium carbonate in about 1 oz of spring water and added it slowly after degassing without any issues.