PDA

View Full Version : Problems with racking too early?

bwalker187
04-09-2015, 10:43 AM
I've got a batch of melomel going in a plastic bucket. It hasn't quite stopped bubbling, but I need the bucket for another project. What is the negative affect of racking too soon? I'll put it in a carboy and let it continue to ferment.

valverij
04-09-2015, 01:09 PM
What's the current gravity? Airlock activity doesn't necessarily indicate an active fermentation. Depending on how long it's been in there, it could just be naturally degassing.

bwalker187
04-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I will check when I get home tonight.

Squatchy
04-09-2015, 06:47 PM
There isn't any reason that you wouldn't want to rack it over to a carboy. If you want to leave most of the yeast behind cold crash it a few days if you can and leave the mess behind. If you still want it to chew through a lot of sugar stir it up and move everything over. Either way you will be fine:)

Chevette Girl
04-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Actually, sometimes racking off all the yeast too early can cause a mead to stall out. It hasn't happened to me and of course it will never happen if you WANT it to, but it has happened. If your SG is somewhere you're happy with, go for it, and if it's still a little bit high, give it a good thorough stir maybe half an hour before you rack it, that way the bigger particles will settle out but you'll still have lots of yeast in suspension. Just means you'll have to rack it again eventually (which depending on your yeast might be a good idea anyway).