PDA

View Full Version : Storage questions,,, please help

Squatchy
04-15-2015, 11:54 PM
So I started making mead in October of last year. I have about 40 gallons or so. It's all sitting in carboys in bulk storage/ageing. I have not yet begun to figure out how to move forward from here. I don't want to invest in more carboys so I want to move my meads from them so I can make more. I have limited storage space. I have a chance to bu 4 corny kegs for $150. Nothing more than the kegs. I lost my house after a divorce and now live in an apartment. So needless to say my space is a consideration.

I am asking for your opinions whether bottling or keging is my best way to go.

Please explain you answers

Thanks

Ryan

ScottBehrens
04-16-2015, 05:42 AM
I would go with the kegs, as long as you have a nitrogen or argon setup. Mostly cause of the time factor in filling. Kegs would have a smaller footprint, and like bottle cases, are stackable.

kuri
04-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Kegs take up less room and for that reason are better in my opinion for long term storage. You can fill bottles from kegs if you need to, but it's easier to just have the mead on tap for your home consumption and to only fill bottles when you need to. If you're filling a bottle to drink somewhere else that night, you can get away with filling it straight from the tap. If they will be sitting for longer, you'll have to go the whole 9 yards with sanitation, probably using a picnic tap or something that you can thoroughly sanitize for making the transfer.

I use CO2 to dispense my mead. I just keep the pressure really low. It does pick up a very slight carbonation over time, and I recently decided to carbonate one mead on purpose. Gives it a more sour and less sweet character, and I found that I like that too.

If you want to have bottles on hand to give out at the drop of a hat, obviously at some point that will mean having to bottle. Since you can easily bottle from a keg, though, and since kegs take up less room, you could keep everything in a keg until you're ready to bottle. Less chance of bottle bombs that way, among other things. The one thing you have to pay attention to bottling from kegs is the fact that the mead is getting drawn from the bottom, which is where the yeast settles. If you don't modify your dip tube that will mean getting some cloudiness in your first bottle or two. You can avoid that by shortening the dip tube so that it draws from above the yeast, though then you leave more mead in the keg. Neither approach is perfect, though you have essentially the same options bottling from a carboy, so it's not like you're worse off in this respect with a keg.