PDA

View Full Version : Finally started my first ever batch of mead, making a JOAM and have a few questions.

Cloudhaacker
04-22-2015, 01:15 AM
Okay, after having all my stuff since about December....I finally decided to get it started (not happy with missing out on 4 months of fermenting, but oh well!). I started 2 1 gallon batches on April 15th. I just topped off with water today, but I'm worried that 1. Could I have over filled it? I have standard 1 gallon carboy and I just filled it to right below the handle. Is that too high? I don't want the oranges plugging it up! And #2, after adding the water, it looks like it's just sitting on top of the honey water. I don't stir or shake to combine, right? It should on it's own eventually right? Otherwise, I'm really excited about this! One gallon seems darker than the other, and the darker one I warmed the honey and water faster than the first one. I wonder if there will be a taste difference? Anyway, thanks in advance for the help! I already got some great info from people on here before, great community!

Cloudhaacker
04-22-2015, 01:17 AM
I forgot to mention - this is the standard Joe's Ancient Orange recipe - no changes made.

brentG
04-22-2015, 09:50 AM
The recipe says "fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. (need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few days frenzy)."
The recipe also says "Shake the heck out of the jug with the top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process."
After that, don't touch a thing.

Cloudhaacker
04-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Yeah - I just got worried, but it seems to be bubbling away happily! Thanks!

Cloudhaacker
04-23-2015, 01:40 AM
https://youtu.be/s-LEE_qt39Y Looking good to me!