PDA

View Full Version : Is it OB time???

Squatchy
04-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Hi

Obviously orange groves don't do well here in Denver. I'm wondering if anyone has a good line on some local Orange Blossom honey at a good price. I'm wanting to buy a 5 gallon pail but can't find any at a good price. Clover and wild flower goes for about $210 a fiver. What kind of prices do you guys pay when you can but OB from a local source?

Ryan

Clwurster
04-24-2015, 08:00 AM
No OB here in Indiana either. I usually pay $30 /gallon for clover & wild flower locally unless I get it free from my brother in law who has bees :cool:

valverij
04-24-2015, 09:15 AM
The cheapest I can find online (after shipping) is pretty much always Dutch Gold. I've never used their honey, though, so I don't know how the quality is. If I remember correctly, though, I think they filter it and then flash heat it (> 160 for about 5 minutes). After shipping, it's about $210 to get a 5 gallons of orange blossom honey to Denver ($3.50/lb).

EJM3
04-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Holy WOW! Dutch Gold has the price with shipping to my door just twenty bucks more than what I pay for wildflower locally! Now the question is the quality, I doubt very much it will compare to the sample of OB I received from Kernel Crush. I saw the one on the website that was 5 Lbs, it was darker than clover, but not orange by any means, it was also crystal clear. Looks like it was filtered & heat treated to be "consumer ready", AKA flows easy & does not crystallize. The one from Kernel Crush is so orange it glows & looks like artificial coloring was added, but I can verify that it's pure: It has comb wax, bee bits & LOTS of pollen (I looked at it under a microscope), the taste is sublime to understate it.

jdranchman
04-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Squatchy - If you find something good, ask if they have any price breaks for volume? I'd go in on at least one or two fivers. I'm sure there are other Denver metro ppl here that might want to go in if we can get some sort of break. Otherwise the best price I've found is the same as valverij - from Dutch Gold. Has anyone tried it yet? It seems "too" cheap to be true.

skunkboy
04-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Dutch gold is okay, not great, but it dosen't suck. I've been using it on and off for a couple of years. Their buckwheat isn't quiet as nice as some local stuff...

Chevette Girl
04-30-2015, 09:49 PM
All I know is every time my mom's in Florida I ask her to find me some OB honey and the stuff she finds in Florida is actually from Medford Farms in New Jersey. WTF...

brentG
04-30-2015, 09:52 PM
I've used Dutch Gold for about 5 or 6 batches now, and I really like it. I thinks it's better than SueBee. I've got a JAOM variant with hot peppers that I made with Dutch Gold wildflower that's pretty amazing. Everyone that's tried it wants more.

danr
05-01-2015, 12:15 AM
$30/gallon or $150/5 gallons here: http://www.shamrocksbees.com/honey-products.php.

I am not sure what they charge to ship to Denver, but I believe that it is just their actual cost.

mannye
05-01-2015, 09:06 AM
All I know is every time my mom's in Florida I ask her to find me some OB honey and the stuff she finds in Florida is actually from Medford Farms in New Jersey. WTF...

I think maybe she bought in in a large chain store? I go to the B-Natural warehouse in homestead where they have a huge vat of local OB. They explained that all they do is heat it a little to filter all the biggest nasties out. Even still I occasionally find bee parts.

last year it was approx 2.70 per pound... let's see what happens this year.

edblanford
05-01-2015, 11:06 AM
I buy Alfalfa (UT), OB (CA) and Clover (SD) from a local Beekeeper that has hives in all 3 states. Price varies from 2.70 to 3.50 per pound in 5 gallon buckets.

ScottBehrens
05-01-2015, 11:45 AM
My honey guy tells me that the Florida OB is just getting harvested now. I was gonna send out his contact to you guys who are looking for it, but I checked with him first and he doesn't want to sell a bunch of 5 gallon buckets cause he can make way more $ by selling it in small bottles. I have to coax him to do it for me even. Sorry folks.

EbonHawk
05-02-2015, 12:33 AM
I don't remember seeing any OB here in my area yet, but I haven't really been looking over the past couple of months for it. Winn-Dixie stores sell their WD brand OB pretty much year round, and it's okay, better than most "generic" brands, but nothing really "Wow, that's good stuff!" It made a heckuva JAOM this past Christmas though.

We usually get a fairly steady supply of wildflower and clover, and it's usually $12 per quart. $16.99 per quart will get you some tupelo or gallberry and things like that, depending on availability. Our local Walmart has been stocking Medford Farms as well, and it's pretty decent. Nothing to get all excited about though. One of the more interesting honey varietals I've had was some lime blossom honey. Very noticeable lime aroma and taste, very unique. Wish I could get some more to do some lime mead. It was like $10 for a pint though!

ScottBehrens
05-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Well I visited a couple local apiaries today. The problem is I am in a small town with small producers and no one wants to ship. But I found someone with 50 gallons of OB at $240 5 gallons. The way I will do it is if your serious just send me a pm, I will send you his contact, you pay him, I will pick it up and you can send a call tag UPS to my office using your UPS account (all you have to do is put a credit card with UPS online and you have an instant account). You assume all shipping risks. I will tape the lid. You decide on the UPS insurance. I am not making a penny on the deal so I even hesitate to get involved cause I don't want to end up the goat in the deal but there seems to be some interest. I am picking up 5 gal on Thursday for me at the same cost. I have paid from 150-225 in the past depending on the quality. I cant vouch for the quality and its likely not going to be as EJM3 described, that was a good find, but I see this guy is real and not a repackager. .

EbonHawk
05-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Thats, what, about $12 per quart. That's not a bad deal. :)

Chevette Girl
05-05-2015, 10:04 AM
<grin> Now I wish I hadn't blown all my discretionary income on maple syrup :)

Ariadne
05-06-2015, 11:32 AM
One local producer just got their first OB in last week. I have found 2 locals here in FL with some really good raw honey. Happy Bee honey is not cheap at $10/lb and their largest size is 2lb but they do have some discounts for return customers and the OB honey is absolutely steller! The other is Winter park honey. They have a large variety and sell their most popular in 5lb containers for $40. In person they will give you the same deal on their smaller sizes. Still not cheap, but this is some of the best honey I've tasted. Both are unfiltered so it has bits of "stuff" floating in it. The winter park also has the elusive tupelo honey that has been out of stock at most local producers I have tried. One good thing is that when working with small local businesses you can always try to get special deals with them for return business or reserved product. So talk to the business owners in your area and try to network with them.

EbonHawk
05-06-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm lucky in that tupelo is fairly easy to find, as well as OB and gallberry. Even see alfalfa quite a bit. They seem to be the easiest to find, besides wildflower anyway.

skunkboy
05-11-2015, 01:29 PM
How expensive is the tupelo in your area? Went really high last year ...

EbonHawk
06-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your question till now... Will have to remember to check next time I come across some. Honey got scarce around here the last few months, but is now well stocked again. Haven't see tupelo lately, will check in Tallahassee monday though, that's where I usually see tupelo.

mannye
06-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Last year there was very little Tupelo production. My local supplier told me they weren't able to get very much and the price, of course, went through the roof.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

58limited
06-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Walker Honey in Rogers, Texas ( http://www.walkerhoneyfarm.com/ ) has OB for $45/gallon. You might call and see if it is a little cheaper in bulk, otherwise it would be $225/5 gallons. I previously bought OB from Crockett Honey ( http://crocketthoney.com/ (http://crocketthoney.com/) ) in Arizona but I checked and their price went up quite a bit to $42.50/gallon.

Would love to find an economical source of tupelo honey, I haven't bought any in two years and the price jumped quite a bit (industry-wide, not just tupelo) over the past year.

EbonHawk
06-08-2015, 11:49 PM
My source for Tupelo had a sign up today saying it was temporarily out of stock and they didn't know when it would be available... No prices posted either.

I did pick up 8lbs of OB at my grocery store the other day...it was finally back in stock after a few months out of stock. And I bought 6lbs of desert mesquite honey too.

Now, I just need to decide what I want to do with it. I got a couple of Madagascar vanilla beans at World Market and have a pack of dried elderberries I've been itching to try. Also, I am currently getting about a gallon bag full each week of fresh blueberries off our one bush that's still producing. The thing is a beast!

EbonHawk
06-30-2015, 08:09 AM
I got to try some blackberry honey!! Has anyone else tried this? The beekeeper who sells it in our area said as far as he knows, he's the only one in our area selling it. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but have no way of verifying it.

But, it's now my new favorite honey after dethroning OB. This stuff is amazing. And raw. It has a buttery, mildly sweet aroma with a hint of blackberry in it, but not a blackberry in-your-face taste. It's very subtle, but distinctive. Smooth, no after-tasting "sourness" like some honey has, whether the type or from processing. This stuff is amazingly good, and I didn't think OB would get knocked off its throne, ever.

$10 for 8 oz. Going to buy some more in a week or two.