PDA

View Full Version : Vino mini jet filter question

McJeff
04-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Just got this thing for my bday and have a few things I want to filter. My question is can I filter more than one mead with one set of pads or should I change the pads between meads?

danr
04-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Just got this thing for my bday and have a few things I want to filter. My question is can I filter more than one mead with one set of pads or should I change the pads between meads?

See CG's response here: LINK (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/21953-More-Clarifier?highlight=buon+vino+reuse+filter)
And Pitbull gave me some great advice here: LINK (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/21968-Avoiding-Aeration-with-Buon-Vino?highlight=buon+vino+filter)

McJeff
04-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Good reads Ty.

Is it possible to bottle directly from the filter?

danr
04-25-2015, 10:38 PM

Theoretically maybe, but I do not know how you would transition between bottles. You would not be able to use a bottle filler at the end of the tube. I think you would be better off filtering to a bucket and then filling the bottles in a traditional way.

fatbloke
04-26-2015, 05:48 AM
Done that with mine. You just have to have plenty of space and all the bottles sanitised and ready to hand......

McJeff
04-26-2015, 06:49 AM
Cool I'll play it by ear and see how it goes. Have to wait for some pads to show up, thought some would come with the box :(

PitBull
04-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Changing pads is always the best to prevent contamination. But if you are extremely diligent with sanitation throughout the whole mead making process, then it can be done safely.

I echo CGs advice to danr on the best way of accomplishing it. I recently filtered a split 6-gallon batch. All six gallons were started with the same base Orange Blossom (OB) mead then split and spices added. I filtered three gallons of traditional orange blossom mead, then one gallon of vanilla mead, followed by one gallon of pumpkin spice mead (which contained vanilla), and finally, one gallon of cinnamon-habanero mead.

A mini-jet filter is good for roughly 6 gallons, but that can vary greatly depending on the clarity of your mead before filtering. Isinglass will clog a filter quickly if not given enough time to settle out during the fining process.

As fatbloke pointed out, it can be done. But filtering really agitates the mead. I like to wait about 3 days after filtering to let the mead settle down. I also like to add a tsp. of K-meta dissolved in a fluid ounce of water to the receiving carboy when filtering. I dont worry if theres a little bit of headspace for a few days after filtering as the K-meta helps prevent oxidation.

Chevette Girl
04-30-2015, 10:49 PM
When I was using my filter for multiple batches, I did the lightest coloured and mildest-flavoured one first and progressed through to the deepest and most flavourful. It just happened that with the stuff I was using the flavours and colours were similar, although if I'd decided to filter the applemint mead that would have gone last, even if running it through after wild grape wine would have turned it pink. You could always run a litre or two of water or sanitizer through between batches, if you're filtering small batches it does seem like a waste to change the filter media with each batch.