PDA

View Full Version : EZ caps

brentG
05-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Hi everybody,
I know I've read threads about EZ cap bottles before, but when I search it nothing comes up, so I'm wondering a couple things and I'm hoping to get some advice:
1) will EZ cap bottles work for long-term storage (say, over 5 years)?
2) can I carbonate using EZ cap bottles? I'm wanting to carbonate a Tej and a cyser to 3 units.
3) am I right in thinking that these bottles are safer for batches that aren't stabilized? In other words, is it true that these bottles will release pressure before exploding?
4) other than cost, are there major disadvantages to using these bottles? They seem like the way to go for small (1 gal) batches, especially something like a BOMM that's clear and dry and hasn't been stabilized.

Thanks a lot.
Brent

clone63
05-04-2015, 11:40 AM
1) Can't say personally, though I see a few people cautioning against it. Mead being a bit more resistant to oxidation and EZ caps being of decent quality I wouldn't be too concerned, myself. EZ caps are a simple and cap-saving way to bottle, it seems like a bit of an odd choice, unless you want that look or have a surplus.
2) Yes, should work if they came with a carbonated product inside or had beer in their product description if bought. 3 vol. is a bit higher than the norm but if they are actual "EZ caps" they claim to be stronger so should be fine.
3) Never heard such a thing, not that it couldn't be true. I guess the gasket might have a little give but ... I wouldn't count on it, especially if fermentation stalled, I'd expect tons of pressure to blow up anything.
4) The only disadvantage I can think of is over time the gaskets wear out and you wont know until you get a flat/undercarbed batch. You could just change/recondition them periodically but that is kind of a pain, especially if they're not all used in the same frequency, it may become excessive.

All that said, I have about 25 salvaged from beers and prefer them to using a capper. Especially when a neck breaks.....

PitBull
05-04-2015, 11:44 AM
I would not use them for long term storage.

The way to go for long term storage is crown cap "beer" bottles. They are readily available in 12 and 22 ounce and are available as a bonus if you buy them full of beer and drink it. A case of 24, 12 oz. bottles runs $12+ dollars. Think of it as getting a $12+ discount on a case of your favorite craft beer.

Beer is typically bottle-carbonated with 5 ounces (by weight) of sugar in 5 gallons. These bottles will easily hold that amount of pressure. Twelve ounce bottles are especially nice for small batches as you will get 11 bottles out of a 4 liter jug, which I also buy filled with wine and use as a carboy afterwards.

brentG
05-05-2015, 10:30 AM
1) Can't say personally, though I see a few people cautioning against it. Mead being a bit more resistant to oxidation and EZ caps being of decent quality I wouldn't be too concerned, myself. EZ caps are a simple and cap-saving way to bottle, it seems like a bit of an odd choice, unless you want that look or have a surplus.
2) Yes, should work if they came with a carbonated product inside or had beer in their product description if bought. 3 vol. is a bit higher than the norm but if they are actual "EZ caps" they claim to be stronger so should be fine.
3) Never heard such a thing, not that it couldn't be true. I guess the gasket might have a little give but ... I wouldn't count on it, especially if fermentation stalled, I'd expect tons of pressure to blow up anything.
4) The only disadvantage I can think of is over time the gaskets wear out and you wont know until you get a flat/undercarbed batch. You could just change/recondition them periodically but that is kind of a pain, especially if they're not all used in the same frequency, it may become excessive.

All that said, I have about 25 salvaged from beers and prefer them to using a capper. Especially when a neck breaks.....

Thanks for the advice. I acquired a case of them, and I do like the way they look.
I thought I read somewhere that they release pressure, but I could be wrong. I've got a few batches of BOMM I want to bottle using them, and I haven't stabilized (the batches are a little over 3 months old and bone dry).

curgoth
05-05-2015, 11:00 AM
I think the up side to EZ cap bottles is that you can flip the top to let off pressure, then seal it back up, rather than having to recork/recap. So it's easier to *manually* release pressure.

brentG
05-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I think the up side to EZ cap bottles is that you can flip the top to let off pressure, then seal it back up, rather than having to recork/recap. So it's easier to *manually* release pressure.

Alright, that's what I'll do then. Thanks.