PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst thing that can come from an M.E.A.?

Crowing
05-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Just had my first erruption on a meadowfoam BOMM, wondering if it could strip a bunch of flavor and aroma out of it now

loveofrose
05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Nah. The mead will taste fine.

The worst that can happen? About $10,000 in new floors if a 5 gallon bucket goes up volcano style! Speaking from experience....

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

jdranchman
05-06-2015, 05:57 PM
The least that can happen is a minimum of two hours cleanup and then things start to feel less sticky.

That's when I went and got a 10 gallon fermenting bucket for my 5-6 gallon batches. Worth every penny. :rolleyes:

Crowing
05-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Alright nice. This fermentation is way more vigorous than any I've had so far, is that normal with wyeast 1388, or is D-47 just really slow?

EbonHawk
05-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Alright nice. This fermentation is way more vigorous than any I've had so far, is that normal with wyeast 1388, or is D-47 just really slow?Yes, and yes. 1388 is an ale yeast and designed to ferment Belgian ales very fast (compared to wines/meads, that is). D47 is known for its turtle pace, er, I mean "maturity-oriented style". ;-)

rschweizer44@yahoo.com
05-07-2015, 09:41 AM
or put a plastic tote under your carboy's.......90% of the eruption will be in the tote. Loveofrose posted that once, saved me a few times.

bathtub brewer
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
I do my major fermenting in a bath tub (rather in a bucket sitting in the bath tub), so it would have to be pretty major blow out to make a significant mess.

mannye
05-08-2015, 10:56 AM
The worse thing that could happen would be that it would leak and cause a short in the electrical system which would then arc to the outside transformer affecting the main power station in your area causing a county-wide brownout that would then domino into a national blackout triggering DefCon1 and then accidentally causing a thermonuclear retaliation which would be impossible to stop so the other nuclear states would launch causing an end to civilization as we know it on Earth.

So... use a plastic tote.

Clwurster
05-08-2015, 11:20 AM
good one Mannye

EbonHawk
05-08-2015, 02:06 PM
The worse thing that could happen would be that it would leak and cause a short in the electrical system which would then arc to the outside transformer affecting the main power station in your area causing a county-wide brownout that would then domino into a national blackout triggering DefCon1 and then accidentally causing a thermonuclear retaliation which would be impossible to stop so the other nuclear states would launch causing an end to civilization as we know it on Earth.

"Armameaddon". Movie deal in the works, pre-production starts next week.

mannye
05-08-2015, 03:04 PM
"Armameaddon". Movie deal in the works, pre-production starts next week.

Ha! Great!

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

McJeff
05-08-2015, 04:40 PM
I was goin to say death, but mannye took the wind outa my sail.

Crowing
05-10-2015, 11:11 PM

I've read Swan Song. If I remember correctly, that was how it started... So I guess I'll get a tote.

EbonHawk
05-11-2015, 01:20 AM
I've read Swan Song. If I remember correctly, that was how it started... So I guess I'll get a tote.
I just read it a few months back (for like the 3rd time now) and that was similar to how it started, but not exactly... Unless I'm mis-remembering something. I think it was started by a trigger-happy nuclear sub commander..

As for MEAs, I might be experiencing one in the near future. Have had a blueberry/blackberry conglomo-mead that I've been aging for several months now. Fermentation activity had all but died after the 3rd racking. Decided to bottle it. No problem, tasted fantastic, loved it. Two weeks later, pull one out of the fridge...and it's carbonated a bit. Granted, I only stuck it in the fridge for a couple of hours, so it wasn't really, really cold, but it bubbled nicely and had a bit of a sparkling characteristic. Have no way of knowing just how carbonated it is, but at around 45 it's a nice low-level carbonated. Opened another bottle just to check...and it's fizzy too, a little bit, and this one was colder. I'm starting to sweat the rest of the bottles stored at room temp in the front formal dining room, which is being renovated right now. Will probably not be finished in several months, so I'm not worried about hurting a room or flooring or anything, but I'm thinking I might want to tuck those boxes into a big tupperware container, maybe wrap them in a couple of old bath towels or something... Just in case.

mannye
05-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a prudent action. Is it in bottles that can take the pressure?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

EbonHawk
05-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a prudent action. Is it in bottles that can take the pressure?

Yes, I have most of it in regular beer bottles. They can usually take the pressure fairly well.