• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is my mead infected?

Barrel Char Wood Products

rnsngshpkng

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2015
Hello all!

I've been a hombrewer (beer) for over 30 batches now, but the wife wanted to try mead. This is our first batch, and I'm not sure but I think it's infected; this doesn't look like any (beer) krausen I've ever seen.

We used:
4kg grocery store honey
2 cinnamon sticks
zest & juice from 2 oranges
1 tbsp ginger
2 cloves
yeast nutrient
Lalvin D47 yeast

We DID pasteurize the mixture, and this pictures was taken after 4 days in the fermenter. https://i.imgur.com/CCJrm8F.jpg

What do you think?

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Looks fine to me, just a little yeasty. I have a batch right now that I reused a yeast cake with, and the large amount of yeast caused a slight yeast-colored film that got mixed up with the foam and looked like a frothy, yeast-colored layer of bubbles (pretty much like that, but not covering the whole top). I just stirred it up and let it go back to doing its thing.

Does it have any off-odors?

Last edited:

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
I agree, looks good. No worries yet. This is a JOA so no stirring allowed. In other recipes, if you stir it looks more homogenous(sp?) than this.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns