• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottling after cold crashing

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
First off is cold crashing truely 100% effective?

how long do you normally wait after cold crashing and stabalizing before bottling?

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
After letting the mead warm to room temperature, check the gravity several times over a couple of weeks. If it remains stable, then it is okay to bottle. Remember to make gravity adjustments for temperature changes.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
First off is cold crashing truely 100% effective?

how long do you normally wait after cold crashing and stabalizing before bottling?

No. Cold crashing doesn't do anything except put the yeast to sleep so they drop out of suspension. They are still there...waiting to wake up and blow up bottles. If you stabalize, that's a different story. Rack off the lees, add your stabilizing chems, then as PitBull says, wait and measure for a couple of weeks until you are sure it's constant at room temp, then bottle worry free.

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
Awhile back I briefly read some comments on here about cold crashing and figured, what the heck I have this stubborn batch that doesn't want to clear up. So I set it on my front porch during a warm winter spell (We call them Chinooks 30-40F) left it there for about 2 weeks, by which time it had dropped to about 10F. I then decided I better bring it in and bottle it before it gets too cold and freezes.
I bottled it straight off the porch. I use just plain hose to siphon and plug off the end with my thumb between bottles. After going through 20 + bottles my thumb was so cold I thought it was frost bitten.
Then (of course) as the mead warmed up it expanded and pushed the corks out. The next morning all the corks were sticking up, 2 had pushed all the way out.
On the positive side once I re corked them all I never had a bottle blow.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Awhile back I briefly read some comments on here about cold crashing and figured, what the heck I have this stubborn batch that doesn't want to clear up. So I set it on my front porch during a warm winter spell (We call them Chinooks 30-40F) left it there for about 2 weeks, by which time it had dropped to about 10F. I then decided I better bring it in and bottle it before it gets too cold and freezes.
I bottled it straight off the porch. I use just plain hose to siphon and plug off the end with my thumb between bottles. After going through 20 + bottles my thumb was so cold I thought it was frost bitten.
Then (of course) as the mead warmed up it expanded and pushed the corks out. The next morning all the corks were sticking up, 2 had pushed all the way out.
On the positive side once I re corked them all I never had a bottle blow.

The mead expanded ... or the CO2 left the liquid and expanded?

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
The mead would have expanded some, but I think most of it was the little bit of air at the top of the bottle. Since I siphon by hand there is some variability in the amount of air at the top of the bottles. I suspect the CO2 solubility probably increases as the mead warms up.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm a little fuzzy on the actual question. I re read it. If you are stabilizing then you're going to be fine. If you are cold crashing then you will have clearer mead.

So is cold crashing 100% effective as a clarifier? Nope. A combination of cold crashing/racking/fining/waiting or filtering is effective as a clarifier. It may look clear after a cold crash but there will still be plenty of suspended stuff in solution.

Is it effective as a stabilizer? Also nope. In fact really nope.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
sorry i guess i could explain a bit more. When im about to achieve the ABV that im shooting for i want to cold crash to stop the current activity and ill stabalize(meta and sorbate) to inhibit future activity. I was wondering how long i should wait before bottling so not to make potential bombs. Pitbull answered it pretty well.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Gotcha

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns