PDA

View Full Version : The Taj Mahal is finally done and I am moving in

edblanford
05-15-2015, 10:46 PM
After several years in planning and execution, I have finished the Taj Mahal (the name was given it by my next door neighbor's sister when she visited). It is a 14 foot by 20 foot "tall barn" (8 foot side walls and two 6 foot lofts for storage). I have an electric hoist on a track in the center that allows me to move things up to the lofts without lifting. It is insulated to about R-22, walls and ceiling, with rigid PolyIso sheets sealed with Great Stuff Pro foam, then covered with a White insulated vapor barrier (R-1.5 to 4 depending on the installation, probably on the lower side since there is little to no dead air space). All in all very warm and snug, heated with a propane ventless heater and will be air conditioned (if needed) with a portable 8,000 BTU unit. This makes it a year round meadery and workshop. My only issue now that I am moving in, is it does not have the features of Mannye's Tardis, as it now seems smaller on the inside than it is on the outside. I would love to know how Mannye achieved the Tardis effect (larger on the inside than on the outside) in his case. Maybe Mannye will share his secret Tardis building methods and I will end up with more space after all.

At any rate I will be brewing again soon, and have a to do list at least as long as Chevette Girl's to work on, including a test for using several different micro pumps to circulate during fermentation with the hopes of constant degassing as well as faster fermentation (or smoother, at least). I will start a new thread in Equipment with the tests, photos and results of this project as it progresses. I also plan to do a water test with the waters most readily available to me (carbon filtered tap water with a hardness of 340-360 PPM, which has worked well for me to date), a true mountain spring water available locally from a Wasatch Front spring at approx 7,500 feet, hardness 680-740 PPM, depending on the season, and a yet to be determined softer water (bottled of some sort), possibly Ozarka Spring Water of BOMM fame, which is quite soft (well under 100 PPM from what I read), to see the effects of hardness. I will make BOMM's from the same batch of OB honey I have on hand, using identical SNA, etc. initially, and then try again with the pumping system, assuming it proves beneficial. So much to do and document, but it will be fun and good to get back in the saddle, so to speak.

I will post pictures in this thread soon of the finished project.I also have a 10 foot by 14 barn style building conventionally insulated that I share with my wife for brewing and her art space, which is good, because with all my brewing stuff and woodworking tools, I already need the extra space.

mannye
05-16-2015, 11:21 PM
EXCELLENT! I''m anxiously awaiting pictures! I want to get ideas for the next iteration of the TARDIS. The teaser pics you posted a while back got me thinking. I can't wait to see what the finished space looks like. Congratulations!

edblanford
05-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks mannye, I am not good with picture manipulation, but I will figure something out (if all else fails, my son, who is only a few blocks away, is and IT professional and will help me solve any issues). Dark, raining and pretty sh_tty today and will be for several days, it seems. We had almost no winter, but Seattle weather in May is quite unusual for us. When there is a break with good light, I will do a photo tour, although it is still a work in progress, and will figure out how to make the pictures accessible. I still want to know your secret for the Tardis effect however, as the space is shrinking! LOL

edblanford
05-19-2015, 11:23 PM
mannye, initial pictures are now up in my album "Taj Majal".

edblanford
05-20-2015, 12:37 PM
To all, I have read many times over the years I have been here (as a member and a lurker) the difficulty in posting pictures. I finally read the FAQ's and found that the creation of an album is pretty straightforward, if a multi step process. To view a member's album, click on their name and select the album you wish to view from the options on the left side of the screen (towards the bottom). I actually found it quite easy to do and used the caption step to explain each uploaded picture. While this may be "old hat" for many of you, I had never even clicked on a name to discover what information it contained. I still do not know how to include a picture in a post, but this is a start, at least. I just clicked on the "Go Advanced" button and may have figured that out. I will try it in another post.

mannye
05-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Don't sweat it. Just poke around in there and play with it. (And the posting too lol). If you have a smartphone, tapatalk, despite the annoying interface "upgrades" makes it very easy to take and upload videos.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

edblanford
05-20-2015, 07:48 PM
I have a smartphone, but I thought it just made me sound smarter when I talk on it? LOL