PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Color in a Prickly Pear Mead

Stasis
05-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Last year I created some prickly pear mead. I used 200kg of red tunas (they are free) and added no water. I increased the OG so as to calculate a final alcohol level of around 12%. I cannot say what the amount of honey added was since the addition of honey was gradual.
The color started as a beautiful deep red, of course. After about a month the color was still red but needed aging. I used Gervin's Gv8 yeast which is supposed to be good for red wines. I hoped that this will keep the red color. After 6 months of aging over the winter I checked the airlocks (they were fine), took a sample to taste the mead and found that the color was yellow similar to whisky. I cannot think of any way to make this mead red since I have maxed out the amount of red tunas I can use in a batch. Could it be from the yeast I used? How is it that I find sites and posts which claim they manage to keep the red color?
On a positive note the mead tastes like wine with a nice prickly pear aftertaste. I hope that in another 6 months it will be even better and I could detect the honey's input.
Thanks for any advice!

Stasis
05-18-2015, 10:10 AM
I failed to mention that I used a generic yeast by Young's for one batch and Gv8 for another. Both turned to a whisky yellow. I also used sugar in one and honey in another and there seems to be no significant difference in color. It's also difficult to say which mead tastes better at this moment, but I suppose this should change after some more aging