PDA

View Full Version : I think my meadowfoam BOMM is infected

Crowing
05-29-2015, 08:48 PM
This has been in the jug for about 3 weeks, it all seemed pretty normal but today I took the towel off to look at it and there is now some kind of white pond scum on top. It isn't foam, when I jostle the jug it balloons out downward and slowly floats back up to the top. I'll try to post pictures in a bit if anyone can advise. Also there's really not much in the way of smell coming from it, before it had an acidic young smell that all my meads seem to have at first, now there's maybe the barest honey scent.

Crowing
05-29-2015, 09:04 PM
http://postimg.org/gallery/ga4ansvu/a1e57870/

Well I'm too specially abled to post images so this should link to the gallery of images

Squatchy
05-30-2015, 12:33 AM
I don't think that is an infection. I think it's floaties from your honey. Not everything drops out some of the lighter stuff floats to the top. Take a turkey baster and suck it up and toss it.

Crowing
05-30-2015, 06:32 AM
I normally pass everything off as something or other floating, this one just seems a little sinister to me the way it will mushroom down and then float right back up into place. However I will try a turkey baster and continue monitoring this batch

Swordnut
05-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Regular BOMM recipe right? Can you give us a log of everything you did and when?

For now, how does it smell? Sour, foul, alcoholic?

ostensibly
05-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Does it move as a gelatinous clump, or dissipate and then reform?

Regardless, I agree that removing anything that you don't feel good about is the right call. If you're three weeks in then primary is over or close to it, right? If so, hit it with some K-Meta as well.

mannye
05-30-2015, 05:36 PM
It's marshmallow foam! No but seriously that looks a little worrisome.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Crowing
05-30-2015, 11:54 PM
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/23246-Meadowfoam-BOMM
LoR's recipe here exactly. Had the same OG, added first nutrients same day he did, second sna was a few days later than his as mine was moving slower. Added the same 5oz afterward, I poured the raw honey straight in and let the yeast find it a their leisure, so one thought is that the floating stuffs could have been kicked up sediment from the honey dropping into it.
The mystery blob seems to have gotten smaller as of today. I still can't say if it's all connected in some way or what.

Swordnut
05-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Only thing that could produce it is either something that went in with the honey or something you introduced from the outside. Since you're using the same vessel as the water came in there's very little chance of this being the case, especially if you used good discipline with sanitising your utensils.

It's 90% certainly something in the honey. Was it clear or cream honey? If it was cream then it could be that the crystallized part of the cream honey has separated and conglomerated together and is now slowly dissolving again in the higher alcohol. contents.

Crowing
05-31-2015, 03:18 PM
It was pretty clear honey, runs much more readily than my other honeys. If it continues to dissapears then I'll assume it's safe and I'll just drink it in a few months.

Crowing
06-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Well, this hasn't seemed to improve. Anyone know just how sick it could potentially make me? It just seems like such a waste, and unless its botulism, what's the worst that could happen?

Lberry6595
06-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't risk it if it were me. From my understanding, it's mostly the nastier kinds of food-borne illness that thrive in anaerobic environs (i.e. Fermentation vessels), botulism being one of them. The least that's gonna happen if it's infected is that it's gonna taste bad. The worst is that it puts you in the hospital or worse.

I don't mean to be scare-mongery, just personally a little paranoid about these kinds of things.

mannye
06-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Nothing bad survives the fermentation process as far as I know. Acetobacter will ruin a batch but nothing will kill you.

Taste a sample (of the clear part for crying out loud) and see if it tastes ok. Spit it out if you're worried. If it tastes Ok than you're fine. Rack it into a new carboy and see what happens.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

EJM3
06-15-2015, 02:06 AM
I have a batch of mead made from alfalfa & clover honey (Essence of Utah 2014 (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/23804-Essence-of-Utah-2014)) that is doing something very similar to yours... Mine has been sitting since last year and has still not dropped clear year, plus I have the same creamy looking goop at the top that when disturbed reforms by then next day or two. I doubt mine is an infection as there is never any airlock activity over the past 7 or so months, coupled with zero gravity point drops. So I have to conclude that it's just some VERY recalcitrant yeast that refuse to flocculate out no matter my methods. I've tried time (7 months, not much I know) & bentonite sp far, I'd love to use KC finings (Kieselsol & Chitosan), but they do not seem to make anything that works on 1 gallon batches, only 5 gallon or larger, so it's just back to time.

mannye
06-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Have you tried cold crashing? Throw it in the back of the fridge for a month and see if anything clears up.

EJM3
06-15-2015, 03:10 PM
No room in the fridge now that we have 2 new members in the household, but the OP can give it a go... I'm either extremely patient, extremely lazy, or both. Not sure, too much work to figure that out... ;D

Crowing
07-05-2015, 07:19 PM
63 days since this was pitched and it hasn't really cleared up at all, don't have much hope for it

EJM3
07-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Not to worry, I'm now on my 8th month of waiting for my Essence of Utah 2014 to drop clear, I probably have a few more months to go at this rate. Lucky me has a lot of time & a lot of patience. Time & patience are the two largest items we never take into consideration sometimes, I think that ChevetteGirl has the tagline that goes something like "Time followed by Patience" being the "main" ingredients.

If all fails use some KC finings, they can drop a mead crystal clean in 48 hours, a bit longer for stubborn haze...

Crowing
07-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Well after that post we racked it from under the mystery scum, and had a little taste.
It was not good, the meadowfoam taste was there, and it had a real hotness to it, but also some sinister undertones.
If I'm not ill or dead tomorrow then at least it's drinkable.

mannye
07-06-2015, 07:00 AM
As long as what you taste isn't vinegar then put an airlock on it and shove it in a dark hole somewhere you will forget about for a year.

stella_tigre
07-07-2015, 01:59 PM
I just finished dumping a batch of BOMM with the exact same problem. I had a pellicle form during a vanilla beaned secondary, which I racked on to campden. Looked OK after that, but after bottling the floaty stuff formed. Tasted sour, nothing I wanted to drink. :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Crowing
07-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Have a 5-gallon chai batch that seems to be doing almost the same thing. Pitched on 5/10 and still isnt clearing, some scummy glob on top. Very disheartening.