PDA

View Full Version : Keeping must overnight safe?

Crowing
06-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Just made a bochet, realized it wasn't going to cool down enough so popped the lid on the bucket and left it in the basement. I shouldn't have any problems with it.... Right?

mannye
06-07-2015, 08:54 AM
You should be fine. Relax. Some people throw a Camden tablet in there to kill anything before they pitch but I don't know about timing since I never do that. Anyone?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

McJeff
06-07-2015, 10:31 AM
When I make melomels, I usually leave it on pectin enzyme over night and pitch the yeast in the morning.

Crowing
06-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Alright cool. I was gonna pitch anyways, just wanted to know if it was stupid. After drunkenly stirring lava for two hours and getting done burned and half asleep at 2am we didn't have the will to wait for it to cool down.

Wingnut
06-08-2015, 09:04 AM
I leave mine over night to cool and pitch in the morning when everything is room temp. I just cap the Carboy or bucket with an airlock. No Camden. I just chill the must down with a ice bath to get below Carboy cracking temp then let it set. Buckets aren't so fussy so I'll just fill them hot. You should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EbonHawk
06-09-2015, 02:01 AM
No worries, unless you happen to live in the absolutely most filthy spot on the planet. As long as you're not dropping stuff in it and insects aren't using it as their personal spa, it'll be just fine. I've left some pretty sticky messes just sitting around overnight waiting for things to cool off and I just kept the lid on it the whole time except for some brief inspections. Everything was pretty sterile at one point and nothing serious should be creeping around your place, like I said, as long as access to it is controlled (human, or insects / vermin).

mannye
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Chevette Girl
06-10-2015, 11:19 PM
I have seen directions that say to hit it with campden tablet, wait for 24 hours, hit it with pectinase, wait another 24 hours, then pitch. So since it just finished having the heck boiled out of it, I'm pretty sure you're safe! If it's too hot to pitch, it's more than likely been warm enough for long enough to be considered pasteurized...

I regularly let things sit with pectinase for 24 hours, rarely do I bother with campden tablets except with unheated pears... they're the only thing I've worked with that seems to get funny while the pectinase is doing its thing. Well, that and fresh pressed apple juice, mine always has native yeasts starting to do their thing so if I want to use pectinase after I press it, I pretty much have to hit it with campden tabs or else the native yeasts take care of it before I even pitch! ...this is why I usually shred the apples and let them sit overnight with the pectinase and then press and pitch immediately.

WVMJack
06-11-2015, 03:50 AM
You boiled it, then diluted it with water so it cooled down to a temp where something could grow, but soon you are going to put a billion yeast cells in it that will overtake whatever got in as it cooled. I usually just cover with a towel secured with bungee, that way at least no bugs with leggs can get in there. Sulfites are an insurance against bac and wild yeasts and later also against oxidized mead, it can happen, it doesnt happen to this bunch because they drink all their stuff up before it gets a chance to oxidize:):) WVMJ