PDA

View Full Version : 25 pounds of honey fermenting in storage

Crowing
06-09-2015, 09:19 PM
I've got around 25 pounds remaining from a 60 pound bucket, just popped the lid to look at it and there's some tiny bubbling and some patches of foam on top. Err, what do I do?

pokerfacepablo
06-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Throw it in the freezer. Make sure you use campden tabs on the future must.

Kansas Mead
06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Honey can have tiny bubbles in it. If you think it is fermenting then put the honey in a cold area. Dose it smell like it is fermenting? I have read that honey can start fermenting on its own if the water content is over 20%.

Crowing
06-10-2015, 07:28 PM
It's not just bubbles, it's bubbling. Itty bitty bubbles like a simmer if you look at the surface. It's dutch gold honey so it won't crystallize and is pretty runny. My mazing partner has a chest freezer big enough for the bucket so I guess she's going in there.

mannye
06-14-2015, 09:41 PM
I thought honey couldn't ferment?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

EJM3
06-15-2015, 12:55 AM
I've read that there are osmophilic microbes & yeast that can with stand the environments in honey at say 30% water, like it has started to separate with crystals & liquid portions. The more liquid portions can have some of those organisms fermenting away in some cases. I think that Medsen Fey knows about those organisms more than I do, I've only read a few paragraphs in total on them myself...