PDA

View Full Version : Something I have enjoyed of late

Squatchy
06-10-2015, 07:00 PM
So I'm still pretty new at this. Just started 8 months ago. I have made about 45 gallons or so. Most of my stuff is just now starting to show pretty good. For a while now I have been making tinctures with vodka or everclear and different fruits or spices. I use so much fruit I can't even tell it has spirits in it. At least in the nose and barely on the tongue. I have been stopping some of my ferments at a certain desired FG by adding the tincture. If I have done it right, when I add the vodka/tincture that shoves the yeast past it's tolerance level so they stop working with X amount of sugar still left in it from the beginning. It also adds a nice touch of the fruit flavor. The flavor is very "fresh fruit" tasting rather than fermented "fruit" taste. It also seems like it may be clearing faster once the yeast are dead from overdosing.

Just thought I would put this out there for what ever it's worth :)

WVMJack
06-10-2015, 07:34 PM
So your making ports, cool, find some elderflowers and make some from them to add to some wines also. WVMJ

EbonHawk
06-15-2015, 08:48 PM
What kind of volumes are you talking about here? This sounds interesting. There was another thread around here recently about making tinctures...

Squatchy
06-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Normally I have been making an entire bottle of (Vodka mostly) at a time.

EbonHawk
06-17-2015, 10:09 AM
I mean what volume of tincture are you adding to what size batches?

Squatchy
06-17-2015, 11:43 PM
I mean what volume of tincture are you adding to what size batches?

My bad. It depends as it varies a good deal. Some things give up a very strong presence. Cocao nibbs are very strong as is sage and oak cubes. Berries are very good for this as well. In fact the berries for the most part are so sweet you can't even tell it's in liquor. I made a gallon where I mixed equal parts of chocolate mead and a cherry mead trying for a chocolate covered cherries drink. It was pretty good on it's own. I added 1/4 cup of chocolate tincture and a cup of cherry tincture and it was much better. I made an orange zest tincture with bourbon. I added maybe 2 TBSP's of that and it brightened the mix up very nicely. I made a 5 gallon port attempt by adding 1.75L brandy to elderberry mead and it was pretty good. I added 2 cups of chocolate tincture to it and a 750 of blackberry/vodka tincture and that is pretty good. It's probably to much liquor for some people so I'm going to have to tone it down some by adding more mead to it.

I know that's a messy answer but it really not so cut and dry just yet as I'm still playin.