View Full Version : Starter Kit & EU / Asia Supplier

06-18-2015, 12:02 AM
NewBee here from the Philippines. Great to come across this forum and looking forward to getting honey drunk!

First, thanks for this forum and thanks to all those that contribute with questions and especially the helpful info that comes thereafter.

Starting with the Mead Magic kit, I'm definitely hooked on making more mead but want to expand to a more detailed process. The kit came with the essentials only and am looking for expanded starter kits (e.g. includes hydrometer, alcoholometer, maybe auto-siphon, etc.).

If you know of a reliable supplier in Europe, Asia or neighboring areas, this would be very helpful. Online searching does provide some sites but when sending in emails for inquiries, there's not always a response causing me to believe it might be a phishing site.

Thanks for the feedback and cheers!

06-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Really? Everybody on this forum orders from the USA / Canada?

06-22-2015, 06:56 AM
There are a lot of US-based folks here, that's true!

But there are apparently quite a few Philippine brewers as well. Some of the beer brewers have run into the same problem as you. If you do a google search on "philippine home brew" you'll find a lot of forum entries from various dates about where to get supplies. There is a lot of crossover with the equipment you need for beer brewing and mead brewing. One brewer suggested trying Australian shops, since there's a large home brewing presence there.

I found a reference to a home brew store in Manila (https://www.facebook.com/LAGRAMABREWERY), but I couldn't pull up the web site to confirm the shop's open (or has what you need).

06-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the response, Shelley - you might have been the one I bought the original kit from? The first couple batches came out great and gave some out. A beekeeper that I took a queen rearing seminar with loved it as I gave him some for the last New Year. He actually asked me if I was selling so he could give some to his neighbors! Unfortunately, I had only made a small batch - his wife also had some and gave it thumbs up.

Anyway, I'm not upgrading to anything crazy, just want some basic tools, a better way to siphon so air doesn't go back into the carboy and maybe extra secondary fermenters. Could it be possible to simply add more carboys for additional stage 2 fermenting? Considering shipping, cost is always an issue. To save some cash, maybe all I need are some extra carboys, an auto-siphon and a few measurement tools. Maybe succeeding batches to not overwhelm myself and keep better track of details.

Thanks for the suggestions looking online - that will still bring me back to whether or not the website is safe to order from. Is there a site like the BBB for international retailers?

Hope all is going well with Mead Magic.

06-28-2015, 09:41 AM
I'm happy to hear the mead came out so well -- yes, that was our Kickstarter!

I don't know of an international BBB site; there was a thread not too long ago here about alternative places to finding equipment: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/24620-Swordnut-s-Alternative-Know-How-(if-you-don-t-have-the-pro-equipment) which you may find useful.

06-29-2015, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the referenced thread, looks worth the read.

Maybe you can provide some insight on mold in the must? Searching around online, it doesn't sound like many inquiries have experienced this during the must stage. This was before any yeast or nutrients were added. Certainly, the equipment was sanitized before using any. Any ideas?

06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
There could be mold spoors in the honey, but with the campden tablet, and sanitation, I would be very surprised to find mold in a must that quickly. The campden should prevent any growth, certainly within the first 24 hours. Did you happen to take a photo? You can send it to me at Shelley@HoneyAppleHill.com (and keep this thread focused on your equipment sources request).

07-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Roger that

07-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Really? Everybody on this forum orders from the USA / Canada?

Some folks on the Home Brew Talk forum recommended this site in case anyone else needs this info:

Products look fairly extensive and they accept PayPal as well.

09-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I order my non-honey materials from the US and had shipped via cargo forwarder. I made my first mead with raw jungle honey harvested locally by some Aetas. It came out great. You just need the key ingredients (Ferm-K, Go Ferm, KMeta, KSorbate, Fermentation bucket/carboy, bottling equip and of course yeast) that you can order from the US. I made my first mead with M27 as shipping liquid yeast wasn't an option. D-47 and EC-1118, KIV-1118 are also dry yeast favorites. You can get by without KMeta and KSorbate if you are not having to stabilize your mead (more sugar than the yeast can tolerate).