PDA

View Full Version : Wild thing

Squatchy
06-19-2015, 10:32 PM
So I purchased some blackberry cider a while back. I used a little bit in a different experiment/mead. The rest I left a few days and it started to ferment . So I feed it like you normally would. I'm not near my notes right now, but I can say it didn't go very high in ABV. I'm wondering. Do you think the natural yeast are the same with blackberries across the nation or are they different based on local? Do you think my "wild thing" taste different than your if you were to do the same thing?

Any body want to swap a bottle?

EJM3
06-20-2015, 10:57 AM
The various yeasts & bacteria (flora) from different parts of the city most people are in change based on local ecology of plants supported in that area. Those are smaller variations, larger would be between cities, then regions (think wine growing regions in France/California), then counties, then states, then collections of states, etc, etc... Each larger or smaller population (of yeast/bacteria) can/will have distinct attributes that it can contribute to the process & product.

At least that is my understanding of things from my friends much better understanding of the m-bio world than mine...

Now if I can find a wild fermented item that actually tastes good then I'd be happy to do an exchange. Might have to wait till apple harvest time here to be able to get something drinkable though, fermenting wild things at 85F+ seems like a recipe for failure around here...

Squatchy
06-20-2015, 11:33 AM
I haer what you are saying. I wonder if temps are no problem with the wild ones. After all, they never have a controlled environment to do the do. I'm guessing that summer temps might not afffect them the same as our cultured yeast.

PapaScout
06-20-2015, 11:45 AM
I've heard that yeast will be naturally present on many fruits and berries growing in the wild. We have blackberries on our property and I'm going to try an experiment this summer if I can get to them before the birds do.

I'd like to eventually create something palatable strictly from the property - wild yeast, blackberries, maple syrup, filtered rain water, etc

Squatchy
06-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Mine actually has a beer taste. It is pretty this as well. They didn't eat much prior craoking.I might try a little glceryn to round out the mouth with this.I bet if I carbed it people would think its a fruit beer.