SG 1.120 Yeast EC 1118

PABV 14.3% Balling 27

2 Grams of Rasins
1 tsp Acid
1/4 tsp Tannin
1tsp Nutrient
1 1/2 cups of Jasmine Tea
Honey from my cappings

Using Grape Juice to activate my yeast, by day three, I had a vigorous boil that chilled out on day seven. On day ten, I put this this Mead into a Carboy and took another SG reading. My SG was and is 1.01... I put a lock on it anyway, and as expected, no more fermentation. I keep my house thermostat at 78F in the afternoon and 75F at night. The wildflower honey was from my leftover beeswax cappings. What's going on here? Why did my yeast burn through my sugars? What should I do now?

TIA,

Versipelis

loveofrose
06-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Everything looks in order. Happy yeast should ferment very quickly. EC1118 has a tolerance of 18% ABV. It should take FG of 1.120 to 1.000 easily (15.7% ABV).

If you want it sweet, then you will need to stabilize and backsweeten or step feed until the yeast give up.

Your temps are a bit hot, so it may need some extra aging.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Versipelis
06-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks For The reply Loveofrose. This is my second batch of Sack Mead; although, this recipe is a little different. With my first batch, my air lock bubbled for months. I though perhaps, I might have did something wrong. I feel better now.

EJM3
06-23-2015, 11:30 AM
+1 To that being normal for 1118 yeast to plow through the sugars in 7 days of less, that & K1V are complete beasts when it comes to that! The temp was just a bit on the upper part of its' range of 59F to 75F. I personally use K1V because we live in an old house (103 years and counting!) with no A/C, K1V has a range of 50F to 95F, plus it also keeps the flavor & aroma of your ferment better that 1118. Otherwise all of my ferments end up having to be made in the cold months only, or kept in a water & ice bath to keep them from running too hot & requiring extended aging (I do that for D47, my favorite yeast BTW). Just my 2, IME YMMV...