PDA

View Full Version : Love the new format

bernardsmith
07-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Not sure where the best place is/was to post this comment but I very much like the new format.

Stasis
07-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Probably best to place it in the Hive. I also like the new format, but perhaps eliminating the spaces between each section (and therefore also reducing the border width) could eliminate some scrolling down. On the other hand maybe if they are very separate like they are now it could make it easier to click on each section on smaller devices. Unfortunately, some buttons still don't have their corresponding image.
Of course, this is hopefully constructive criticism. I am happy to see updates to the site. I love interacting with the people here and wish to see the community and the site grow

kuri
07-10-2015, 09:31 PM
I pretty much never like change and always wish people making format changes like this left open an option to keep things just like they were. At the same time, I'm sure I'll get used to the new format and will be perfectly happy with it over time. Eventually. Just like last time.

mannye
07-11-2015, 01:31 AM
i posted in the hive. I hate it.. maybe because I didn't know it was going to happen and because I can't default back to 2012. But yeah, I'll get used to it. I'm sorry! I know everyone behind the scenes is working very hard and I don't want to be a dick about it. So that's it from me.

JayH
07-11-2015, 02:52 AM
Just be aware that often because of either changes in our (the users) use of a web site, or because of changes in the platform that is currently being used, that a web master has to make changes to keep everything running smoothly. Both of these things are completely outside of Vicky's control, but we depend upon her judgement to make the best decisions possible about changes to the web site.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) depending upon your point of view, these underlying base changes often also require changes to how we interact with the website, such as changes to the forum.

While I don't know the whys, whats or wherefores of these changes I can guarantee you they were not made without a lot of thought, a very good reason and a lot of work on our wonderful web masters part.

So if you love them great, and if you don't, don't worry you'll love them and hate the next time they change from what will have by then become the old familiar way of interacting with this wonderful site.

Vicky et al, thanks for all the work.

Cheers
Jay

edblanford
07-11-2015, 07:43 AM
I vote with the "I hate change" crowd, but understand that technology marches on (with or without me) and I will adjust because of what this site offers. There is enough that is familiar so that I can cope, and as long as it is not "change for the sake of change" (which I hope), I will deal with it. On the "change for the sake of change" note, my feeling is that because we "can" do something, does not mean that we "should" do it. I saw that too often in business, way back when I still worked, and had enough of it then (although I still coped!, lol). Keep up the good work Vicky!

Ed

McJeff
07-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Two things that jump out to me. Its meh gray, should be "gotmead green" theme. the other thing is the line below the thread title with started by and time/date, it stands out(my eyes get drawn to it first) more than the actually thread title. smaller thinner font with a more blending color to be in the background and make the thread title stand out more.

McJeff
07-11-2015, 10:08 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/yeoson/3A4245B1-1394-4705-A51E-DBAF7E51C65B_zps2d678ptk.png

it actually looks worse on the phone, a normal browser so I should be happy that it at least fits on the phone. ;)

McJeff
07-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Also im not trying to bad talk anyones hard work, I appreciate the effort!

mannye
07-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Exactly. I didn't want to poo poo the changes. I remember the last change which actually was way better than the look that preceded it. I guess the underlying changes affect the skin. I'm bummed that I kneejerk posted.

fatbloke
07-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm having issues with the mobile version. I tell it I want to log in, but the mobile log in page just comes up blank.........

Plus the big plug to whatever it is at the top is driving me up the wall, as it means I have to scroll so far down.

I'm a little ambivalent about what seems to be the new/updated bit. I do appreciate the amount of effort such changes need and don't like to seem rude/disrespectful, I don't have to like it for it to be good/usable. I'll get used to it..........

edblanford
07-11-2015, 05:40 PM
This is the "small print" fatbloke. I believe you predicted it? lol