• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Love the new format

Barrel Char Wood Products

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Probably best to place it in the Hive. I also like the new format, but perhaps eliminating the spaces between each section (and therefore also reducing the border width) could eliminate some scrolling down. On the other hand maybe if they are very separate like they are now it could make it easier to click on each section on smaller devices. Unfortunately, some buttons still don't have their corresponding image.
Of course, this is hopefully constructive criticism. I am happy to see updates to the site. I love interacting with the people here and wish to see the community and the site grow

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I pretty much never like change and always wish people making format changes like this left open an option to keep things just like they were. At the same time, I'm sure I'll get used to the new format and will be perfectly happy with it over time. Eventually. Just like last time.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
i posted in the hive. I hate it.. maybe because I didn't know it was going to happen and because I can't default back to 2012. But yeah, I'll get used to it. I'm sorry! I know everyone behind the scenes is working very hard and I don't want to be a dick about it. So that's it from me.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Just be aware that often because of either changes in our (the users) use of a web site, or because of changes in the platform that is currently being used, that a web master has to make changes to keep everything running smoothly. Both of these things are completely outside of Vicky's control, but we depend upon her judgement to make the best decisions possible about changes to the web site.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) depending upon your point of view, these underlying base changes often also require changes to how we interact with the website, such as changes to the forum.

While I don't know the whys, whats or wherefores of these changes I can guarantee you they were not made without a lot of thought, a very good reason and a lot of work on our wonderful web masters part.

So if you love them great, and if you don't, don't worry you'll love them and hate the next time they change from what will have by then become the old familiar way of interacting with this wonderful site.

Vicky et al, thanks for all the work.

Cheers
Jay

Reactions: kuri

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
I vote with the "I hate change" crowd, but understand that technology marches on (with or without me) and I will adjust because of what this site offers. There is enough that is familiar so that I can cope, and as long as it is not "change for the sake of change" (which I hope), I will deal with it. On the "change for the sake of change" note, my feeling is that because we "can" do something, does not mean that we "should" do it. I saw that too often in business, way back when I still worked, and had enough of it then (although I still coped!, lol). Keep up the good work Vicky!

Ed

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Two things that jump out to me. Its meh gray, should be "gotmead green" theme. the other thing is the line below the thread title with started by and time/date, it stands out(my eyes get drawn to it first) more than the actually thread title. smaller thinner font with a more blending color to be in the background and make the thread title stand out more.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
3A4245B1-1394-4705-A51E-DBAF7E51C65B_zps2d678ptk.png

it actually looks worse on the phone, a normal browser so I should be happy that it at least fits on the phone. ;)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Exactly. I didn't want to poo poo the changes. I remember the last change which actually was way better than the look that preceded it. I guess the underlying changes affect the skin. I'm bummed that I kneejerk posted.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well, I'm having issues with the mobile version. I tell it I want to log in, but the mobile log in page just comes up blank.........

Plus the big plug to whatever it is at the top is driving me up the wall, as it means I have to scroll so far down.

I'm a little ambivalent about what seems to be the new/updated bit. I do appreciate the amount of effort such changes need and don't like to seem rude/disrespectful, I don't have to like it for it to be good/usable. I'll get used to it..........

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns