PDA

View Full Version : Mead Becoming Contaminated?!

Blak
07-12-2015, 10:49 PM
I began my very first batch of mead on July 1st. Everything was going great until today 11 days later. The raisins that I have added to my batch have began to become/turn or grow something white! I think its growing something so I'm unsure whats the problem here or if this is normal or should I dump my gallon batch and try again. :o
Recipe:
3lbs of Honey
20 Raisins
1 Orange (cut into 8 pieces and cut the ends off to avoid a bitter taste)
EC-1118 Yeast half packet
Tap water from my sink
http://resizeyourimage.com/EN/?transform=r90&page_no=1&no_of_pages=1&filename=IMG_0572&selection_top=66&selection_left=0&selection_width=485&selection_height=524&zoom=201&get_as_imagetype=jpg&do_resize=true&demomode=0&nocache=1436756000153

http://resizeyourimage.com/EN/?transform=r90&page_no=1&no_of_pages=1&filename=IMG_0575&selection_top=148&selection_left=42&selection_width=575&selection_height=600&zoom=255&get_as_imagetype=jpg&do_resize=true&demomode=0&nocache=1436756265880

Squatchy
07-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Here's a few things.
Pitch the whole 5 grams. Rehydrate the yeast in plain water or in Go-ferm. It's not the ends of your oranges that make it bitter it's the white pith throughout the entire orange.

Now to answer your question better. Taste it to see if it taste ok. Many fruits will become white during fermentation as the yeast eat the sugar and nutrients. I think you are fine but your tongue and nose will tell you the best. Hopefully you sanitized everything real good as you did your thing. You need to feed those guys along the way. As well as oxygenating and degassing. That yeast will eat all the honey plus some. Do you want it real dry?

Squatchy
07-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Here's a few things.
Pitch the whole 5 grams. Rehydrate the yeast in plain water or in Go-ferm. It's not the ends of your oranges that make it bitter it's the white pith throughout the entire orange.

Now to answer your question better. Taste it to see if it taste ok. Many fruits will become white during fermentation as the yeast eat the sugar and nutrients. I think you are fine but your tongue and nose will tell you the best. Hopefully you sanitized everything real good as you did your thing. You need to feed those guys along the way. As well as oxygenating and degassing. That yeast will eat all the honey plus some. Do you want it real dry?

Stasis
07-13-2015, 12:38 AM
I have noticed in one of my batches using carob that the yeast liked to cling to it. Didn't look nice at all but in the end the mead was the best batch using carob yet. I would never throw away a batch unless I am absolutely convinced it's bad. Even below average batches could at least make vinegar or marinade ;)
Oh, and squatchy is right, stuff loses color during fermentation (coincidentally this was a topic on the gotmead live radio show)

Blak
07-13-2015, 04:55 AM
I have smelled it and it doesnt smell bad in any way! Its actually a very good smell like delicious.

And I did sanitize very very well no doubt!

shizacouf
07-15-2015, 05:00 PM
I added raisinsvto a batch of Clover Honey. They did the same thing. After approximately 30 days, I re-racked to a clean carboy without the raisins. It turned out great! So, I think you are fine.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk