PDA

View Full Version : What have you been....drinking?

GntlKnigt1
07-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Right now, its a Kasteel Donker Ale.... a Belgian thing... and a lot of fruit juices that didn't make the cut to be in my melomel.

ScottBehrens
07-21-2015, 11:26 AM
On vacation in the Maritimes. Drinking Yippee and HopBot IPA, Budvar, along with Rossignol Blackberry Mead, lots of it. Everything goes with crustaceans.

JayH
07-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Too early in the morning, nothing until at least 8:45 :)

But last night a nice dry Mulberry mead along with nibbling on the left over truffles from SLO Faire.

Cheers
Jay

Chevette Girl
07-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Water, water and more water... a facebook post from a friend coming home from Las Vegas says he checked the weather before he got on the plane and Ottawa was hotter than Vegas... but maybe later I'll have some of my pumpkin spice beer, I had poured a few bottles that failed to carb up into a Coke bottle and chucked it in the fridge for later consideration and lo and behold, it carbed itself anyway.

skunkboy
07-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Oberon, All Day Ipa, Statement mead...

danr
07-22-2015, 12:50 AM
I have the good fortune to have overstocked my fridge with craft beer that needs drinking to make room for more mead, beer or wine - today's selection was Stone Xocoveza Mocha Stout.

pokerfacepablo
07-26-2015, 04:50 AM
Indeed's Mexican Lager. Made with OB honey. A wonderful summertime beverage that comes in 16 oz's and 9%. Too bad it's seasonal and I drank the last one.

58limited
07-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Pliny the Elder clone. Wish I could try the real thing for a comparison.

mannye
07-28-2015, 08:36 PM
A horn full of apple cider. hic.

PitBull
07-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Sangiovese, Montepulciano, Pinot Noir, Amarone, Orange Blossom Mead, Cyser, Barleywine Style Braggot, Bourbon Barrel Porter (All home brews)

Plus imbibing a variety of beers at Dogfish Head Brewery.

58limited
07-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Orange Blossom Hydromel that I have on tap. I have another waiting to go into the keggerator that I made with a little Vienna Malt, it is really good - in fact it is so good that when I racked it out of the primary I went ahead and filtered and kegged it. Total time from start to kegging: two weeks.

loveofrose
07-29-2015, 07:21 PM
El Super Bee Braggot by Four Corners Brewery. Mmmm, so good when it's 101 degrees outside.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Clwurster
07-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Mmmmm- just had a Pliny the other nite- I'll send u one if want. Also just got done sanitizing 60 bottles, tomorrow morning I'll hit em with iodophor then bottle time. I've got 2 batches of Joes grape & 4 batches of BOMM's(aka BOMMAN) that are now 5 months old so tomorrow nite will be a taste test party on the porch. Will report back if able....probably not tomorrow...or maybe the next nite....but soon....really I will...gotta get some of those aged rocky patels outa the humidor or maybe the Rodriguez brand I get in key west-those are good too. Wife's leaving for the lake home so don't tell her:occasion14::occasion14::occasion14:

mannye
07-30-2015, 12:49 AM
A sample of Exit 3 Blueberry Braggot earlier in the day, and now a few fingers of Black Bush. I love saying that.

GntlKnigt1
07-30-2015, 10:29 AM
A bottle of my first mead from 2004, which was terrible then... drinkable now, but very flawed, although the honey is nice and mellow and velvety. And a (Belgian) Chouffe Soleil. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/118416/

EJM3
07-30-2015, 08:25 PM
PFriem Wit, PFriem Pils, Pinkus Organic Wheat, Ed's Subtle Cinnamon JAOV.

JayH
07-31-2015, 02:19 AM
Category 5 American Pale Ales.

Just judged that category for the LA county fair.

I'm home now drinking a bottle of my "Best of Party" (not bad for party with 52 different beers on tap) Double Chocolate Stout.

Cheers
Jay

valverij
08-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Currently drinking the Cosmic Waltz dark saison style braggot from the BottleHouse Brewery and Meadery for Mead Day.

fatbloke
08-02-2015, 07:13 AM
On friday 31st, it was the 45th commemoration of "Black Tot" (the day they withdrew the daily allowance or "Tot" of rum from serving members of the Royal Navy), so it was a "rum" evening. Yesterday it was a beer day, so I enjoyed a couple of bottles of locally brewed "American IPA" style beer, that I was given at the brewery on friday..........

GntlKnigt1
08-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Grimbergen Dubbel...an Abbey beer since 1128...from the local grocery store

EJM3
08-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Bad Panda Ginger Pale Ale (ginger, galangal & orange peel with a whopping 3 IBU), perfect on a 103°F day in the shade of our backyard....

Oh and I cracked another bottle of Ed's Subtle Cinnamon a few days ago, tasting notes in my thread of the same name later this afternoon...

mannye
08-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Just about to squeak open my now almost empty bottle of Black Bush and be a good Catholic. :)

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

danr
08-02-2015, 09:21 PM
After a week of drinking a lot of water and no alcohol we had a nice dinner at Ballast Point brewery last night accompanied by a flight of their beers. The two I liked most from last night's sampling were at opposite ends of the spectrum: Grunion Pale Ale and Victory at Sea Imperial Porter.

I enjoy brewing beer and making mead, but I am finding it harder to get motivated to brew beer when there is so much good commercial craft beer to try.

mannye
08-02-2015, 09:55 PM
After a week of drinking a lot of water and no alcohol we had a nice dinner at Ballast Point brewery last night accompanied by a flight of their beers. The two I liked most from last night's sampling were at opposite ends of the spectrum: Grunion Pale Ale and Victory at Sea Imperial Porter.

I enjoy brewing beer and making mead, but I am finding it harder to get motivated to brew beer when there is so much good commercial craft beer to try.

That is 100% exactly why I stopped brewing beer. In the dark ages that were the early 1980s there was Bud and if you were a fancy pants Michelob. If you were a foreign spy, Becks. And that pretty much was that. Back then a basic kit made better beer than anything anyone could buy.

Now all that has flipped. There is so much great beer out there it's impossible to try them all. You could have a new beer every day and still have hundreds more to experience. Truly a golden age of beer.

Luckily we can make mead and cider and other alcoholic concoctions that are still not readily available on shelves.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

EJM3
08-02-2015, 10:09 PM
I've been getting into beer mostly because the wait for mead is so long, beer is ready in 30 days, 14 for some!! Plus I am not a fan of a LOT of the ones our local liquor store sells, they cater to the masses and the masses demand 100+ IBU. I would like to taste the product I purchased, or at least be able to taste anything for the next 24 hours AFTER drinking it too!!! She does get some good ones in, but I'm going in strange directions not traveled by most, as usual...

MrRogers
08-03-2015, 02:46 AM
I've been drinking and brewing some American style pale ales, not too much on the bitter side.
It's getting easier to find commercial examples here, but I still try to brew them once in a while. And my freezer has way too many hops at the moment. :)

mannye
08-03-2015, 07:37 AM
I've been getting into beer mostly because the wait for mead is so long, beer is ready in 30 days, 14 for some!! Plus I am not a fan of a LOT of the ones our local liquor store sells, they cater to the masses and the masses demand 100+ IBU. I would like to taste the product I purchased, or at least be able to taste anything for the next 24 hours AFTER drinking it too!!! She does get some good ones in, but I'm going in strange directions not traveled by most, as usual...

Yeah. I think I've mentioned this somewhere before but like the "spicy" craze of the late 90's the thing now seems to be "how bitter can you make it?"

I've tried some that are so hoppy as to be more a test of endurance than an attempt at flavoring. Like some of those hot sauces I remember.

Brad Dahlhofer
08-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Drinking lots of low abv sours. Very big fan of gose and the new Florida Weisse beer styles.

Brad Dahlhofer

Co-founder / CEO
B. Nektar Meadery
bnektar.com

Vice-president
American Mead Makers Association
mead-makers.org

58limited
08-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi Brad,

Just tried a couple of B. Nektar products the other day and loved them: Black Fang and Zombie Killer.

pokerfacepablo
08-08-2015, 03:19 AM
Hi Brad,

Just tried a couple of B. Nektar products the other day and loved them: Black Fang and Zombie Killer.
Love their episode 13

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mannye
08-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Zombie Killer was my favorite! Now if only they didn't hide them waaaaay in the back maybe Bee Nektar will get tried by more people. I can only imagine how hard it is to get good placement in places like Total Wine.

There was some talk about Irish Mist the other day and I just went to the liquor store to buy a bottle of Black Bush when I thought, "Hey. Does this place maybe sell Irish Mist?"

And:

So. As I write this I am going to open it and take good sized belt. I haven't had this stuff since I was very young. And I might even be confused and I'm remembering amaretto di sorrento. Here goes.

Mmmmmmm! That is like hot liquid candy!!!! It was a healthy sip.

I like this! It's Southern Comfort but less sweet. Oh shit. Now I have to get a bottle of SoCo to make sure.

edblanford
08-10-2015, 07:58 PM
mannye, at least you have Total Wine. We do not have the selection in the back (nor B Nektar) here in Total No Wine (aka Utah).

Ed

GntlKnigt1
08-11-2015, 02:36 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/8a29210e8b1ff541e0d286512f8c53e5.jpg

This is the stuff you want....

curgoth
08-11-2015, 12:50 PM
I've almost exhausted all my drinkable aged meads, so I'm reverting to my current favourite nameless cocktail - 1 part dark rum, 1 part light rum, 1 part brandy, simple syrup, teapot bitters (http://bokersbitters.co.uk/teapot_ver2.html) and moondog bitters (http://www.bitteredsling.com/profile/bitters/moondog/), with lemon zest.

mannye
08-12-2015, 11:08 AM
I've almost exhausted all my drinkable aged meads, so I'm reverting to my current favourite nameless cocktail - 1 part dark rum, 1 part light rum, 1 part brandy, simple syrup, teapot bitters (http://bokersbitters.co.uk/teapot_ver2.html) and moondog bitters (http://www.bitteredsling.com/profile/bitters/moondog/), with lemon zest.

Wow. Do you wake up wondering why everyone is mad at you? [emoji38]

curgoth
08-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Keep in mind - 1 gallon batches on my meads, so when festival season hits, the mead supplies vanish quickly.

As for the cocktail, the combination of the moondog (loup-garou in French) bitters and the teapot has finally given me a name - Werewolf of London. :) Strong, yes, but no more so than my preferred style of old-fashioned, or a sazerac.

Brad Dahlhofer
08-14-2015, 05:02 AM
Thanks 58limited and pokerfacepablo. We love what we do, and it's great when others do, too.

Brad Dahlhofer

Co-founder / CEO
B. Nektar Meadery
bnektar.com

Vice-president
American Mead Makers Association
mead-makers.org

mannye
08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
I'm still amazed at how quickly a very large quantity of mead I had has disappeared.

EJM3
08-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Darn two legged cellar rats at it again Mannye?? The seem to have dug into mine pretty heavily as well, time for another JAOV by jove! Uh, hic!!

GntlKnigt1
08-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Goblet blight. Very serious. No cure.

mannye
08-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Darn two legged cellar rats at it again Mannye?? The seem to have dug into mine pretty heavily as well, time for another JAOV by jove! Uh, hic!!

Lol yeah! Friends have been coming over "for a taste" and end up getting wrecked and taking a couple of bottles home with them.

. I of course don't exactly spectate while said wrecking is happening so the bottles get emptied at a furious pace.

This summer has been very social with a lot of New York buddies coming down to visit. All my friends are big ex-jocks or cops and the white collar dudes are all drunks.

GntlKnigt1
08-15-2015, 02:00 PM
"I never understood a single word he said, but I helped him drink his wine....and ya know he had some mighty fine wine...." Take it away mannye

mannye
08-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Joy to the world! All the boys and girls! Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea and joy to you and me!

GntlKnigt1
08-15-2015, 05:45 PM
I need to list Jeramiah the Bullfrog as Mazer on my mead. Lol

GntlKnigt1
08-16-2015, 03:27 AM
Jeramiah became famous?

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/price/frog.htm

shreyasaran
08-17-2015, 05:39 AM
I just drink beer only

GntlKnigt1
08-17-2015, 10:57 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/17/6b86b434b72d70c97d03c1e358db446c.jpg

The Irish Mist honey is about gone, so gonna try the Jim Beam Bourbon honey. Has vanilla and a bit of ginger flavor. Might mix well with a traditional or melomel, and a nice marinade for pork.

MrRogers
08-17-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm currently enjoying a very clear beverage which seems to have very neutral aroma and flavor (maybe some lager yeast was used). I can't taste any off-flavors whatsoever. On the other hand, I don't seem to notice any on-flavors either.
It's a whole pint of tap water.

58limited
08-17-2015, 06:30 PM
St. Arnold Lawnmower, a Kolsch.

mannye
08-17-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm currently enjoying a very clear beverage which seems to have very neutral aroma and flavor (maybe some lager yeast was used). I can't taste any off-flavors whatsoever. On the other hand, I don't seem to notice any on-flavors either.
It's a whole pint of tap water.

You've also just described very good moonshine.

GntlKnigt1
08-17-2015, 10:14 PM
(Can't believe mannye didn't jump all over that pork marinade comment).

mannye
08-17-2015, 10:23 PM
(Can't believe mannye didn't jump all over that pork marinade comment).

LOL Too drunk on Irish Mist.

MrRogers
08-18-2015, 04:02 AM

And now I can't remember if that was actually from the tap...

JayH
08-18-2015, 04:12 AM

I've had what I was assured was very good moonshine. It's not that there were necessarily any off flavors, it was just that after you had a sip or two, you couldn't have tasted them if there were.

Cheers
Jay

kudapucat
08-18-2015, 06:21 PM
A pinot.
Not sure I'm going to do that again in a hurry. It really doesn't do it for me.
I'll stick to the YSP I've got gallons of.
The freeze-fractionated YSP is much better, though I don't have much, it being a tedious process.

edblanford
08-18-2015, 10:05 PM
14 month old BOMM, 1 OB and 1 Alfalfa. What a difference age makes! Both were bulk aged in glass, crystal clear without fining and are now ready to bottle. I will leave both of these dry, as they are great paired with food.

Ed

EJM3
08-23-2015, 04:03 AM
Had some friends over for dinner, drinks & BBQ last night, we sampled: Alaskan Amber Ale, Drop Top Amber Ale & Dark Persuasion German Chocolate Cake (from the local brewery). (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25393/88181/) Then I had to brave downtown in the smoke & ash of the wildfires here so I dropped in to the local & had their Oak Aged Decline Barley Wine (9.5% ABV, 70 IBU, sweet, malty & you get splinters from the HEAVY oaking). Plus I love getting my growler filled for $10, my choice of any beer they have on tap...

DG.
08-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Found a local place that sells Vikings Blod. Had to give it a shot. Pretty good..

ScottBehrens
08-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Finishing a bottle of Glen Livet, label says it was 15 years old when I bought it, I think it was in the cabinet for a while, the cork disintegrated when I opened it.

TheAlchemist
08-26-2015, 07:00 PM
So? Was it any good?

ScottBehrens
08-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Yes it is. Straining of the cork. A pint glass full of ice filled with spirit, splash of soda that expired in 2010. It's been a while. I didn't think club soda had an expiration date

loveofrose
08-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Frontier by Meridian Hive. I posted a full review in the Commercial mead section.

GntlKnigt1
08-27-2015, 02:28 AM
Well, look what I found.....it made it all the way here to the Netherlands.... I wonder if Brad Dahlhofer knows....

http://firmabier.com/products/b-nektar-kill-all-the-golfers

EJM3
08-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Never knew that B. Nektar made biers.....

Recent list of imbibements: Franziskaner Hefeweizen, Pfreim Belgian style Wit, Omegang Belgian style Wit & last but not least Mac & Jack African Amber.

I'm beginning to think that I have an awful lot of guests filtering through the house, might have something to do with "good friends, good food & good drinks" going so well together...

58limited
08-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Tonight: Sweet Blueberry Blossom traditional (too much oak), orange blossom hydromel, and an IPA from a kit I made awhile back.

PapaScout
08-27-2015, 08:26 PM
I had a mead tasting with friends the other night. Several partial bottles left so I combined them. I think the result is my best so far lol

EJM3
08-28-2015, 05:49 AM
Ninkasi Vanilla Otis, vanilla oatmeal stout. Quite tasty, smooth & perfect after a day of hawking garlic at the local farmers market in Leavenworth.

On a side note: I ran out of mead for presents! Time for a new batch next month...

GntlKnigt1
08-28-2015, 11:23 AM
My next batch is gonna be another chocolate with maple syrup back sweetening. Drinking a Grimbergen Dubbel with a nice cigar, but have to try the Jim Beam Honey bourbon mixed with a traditional next.

mannye
08-28-2015, 11:54 AM
I had a mead tasting with friends the other night. Several partial bottles left so I combined them. I think the result is my best so far lol

Blending is the secret to most good wines, whiskys and meads.

GntlKnigt1
08-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Sweet spot hit at about 5 parts traditional to 1 part Jim Beam Honey Bpurbon

JewishMonk
08-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Old Monk rum neat. Tastes like caramel and dreams

mannye
08-29-2015, 12:24 AM
I'm drinking Black Bush and it tastes like......

Irish whiskey.

58limited
08-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Today I had a Pliny the Elder thanks to forum member Clwurster. Enjoyed it!

Clwurster
09-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Good to hear 58. Glad you enjoyed it. Still saving that bottle you sent me to share with some buds. But tonite I'm drinking a year old JOAM minus the clove variation with a shot of home made orange cello mixed in. Mighty tasty-brings the ABV up to maybe 18-19% but who's counting? It's almost the holiday weekend isn't it?

EJM3
09-04-2015, 05:37 PM
My latest batch of (experimental) beer, almost got the flavors the way I want, I'm thinking of naming it "Liquid Banana Bread"...

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.018
ABV: 5.78%
IBU: 23.7
SRM: 12.5

Full recipe & discussion available here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=538970

pokerfacepablo
09-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Interesting, pushing for the diacetyl flavor. Sounds delicious.

58limited
09-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Fat Tire Snapshot, a wheat beer. Later i will be tasting a few meads and wines to see how they are progressing.

EJM3
09-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Not so much the diacetyl as the amyl acetate, I'm going for the banana more than the butter...

I am planning to get a Scottish yeast that is known for it's diacetyl, butter beer & all that...

So far the first six 500ml bottles have been consumed, company is coming tomorrow, so I'll be chilling down a few more. Thank {insert deity, demon or other} that he's a light drinker & a lightweight...

Next up on my chopping block will be a growler full of "Oak Aged Decline Barley Wine" from the local brewery taps.

Chevette Girl
09-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Just fiished the last of my 6-pack of Mill St. Coffee Porter :)
If I get around to it I may toss back one of my "Feed My Frankenstein" pumpkin spice braggots later.

GntlKnigt1
09-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Some Sam Adams Lager....ah, the joys of being back in states for a visit

58limited
09-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Kona coffee, made in my French press.

Clwurster
09-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Enjoying a marvelous oliaberry melomel that 58limited traded me for a Pliney the elder. I definitely got the better end of the deal. Fantastic mead. Semi-tart up front flavor but the palate sweetens out on after taste. Spot on blend of berry & honey mix. No off flavors or alcoholic heat even with an ABV of 13%. Well done 58

EJM3
09-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter

Franziskaner Weissbier

EJM3 Banana Bread Beer

Pfriem Wit

Pfriem IPA

58limited
09-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Fat Tire Snapshot, and later this evening a chocolate raspberry port.

GntlKnigt1
09-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Ah..similar to my beer selection. But I suspect I will be crying in my beer tomorrow as I suspect my Bears will lose to the heinous Packers

PapaScout
09-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Firestone's Double Jack IPA. WOW! At least as good as my favorite Bell's Hopslam.

JDWebb
09-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Well, I would be, but it hasn't hit the West coast yet. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof....

58limited
09-15-2015, 06:54 PM
OB hydromel and a Pineapple Belgian Wit.

curgoth
09-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Back from Ontario's fruit and wine region with four cases of booze; 1 case of mostly red wines from Colaneri Estates (http://www.colaneriwines.com/), one case of mead from Rosewood Estates (http://www.rosewoodwine.com/pages/1326825109/What-is-Mead?), one case of fruit wine from Sunnybrook Farms (http://www.sunnybrookwine.com/), one case of gin, white rye, tonic, pear eau de vie and limoncello from Dillon's (http://dillons.ca/), and one bottle from 40 creek (http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/).

Also, 1/2 bushel of pears to make cider and pear melomels!

loveofrose
09-20-2015, 12:47 AM
All natural BOMM and Jadwiga BOMM. The latter being the best I've ever made!

I gave Jadwiga BOMM to a very skeptical friend accustomed to high end wine and port and was very surprised. He NEVER asks for more of anything, but asked for 5 of these!

mannye
09-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Water! Need to hydrate after murdering a 1/4 bottle of Irish Mist with a splash of Black Bush. Tasty cocktail but very potent hangover. I blame Obama.

I'm also officially BOMMless. All out for real this time. And I can't get any more 1388 until it cools down in December. This is also Obamas fault.

GntlKnigt1
09-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Lol. The Irish Mist sneaks up on ya.....

Clwurster
09-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Tonight a blueberry/Gewürztraminer pyment with wildflower honey/vanilla & oak aged 1 year. Semi-sweet D-21 ferment. Smooooooooooooth ;)

GntlKnigt1
09-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Ahh...I was gonna try to find gewurz grapes over here.....having trouble tracking it down

Clwurster
10-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Tonight..watching ND/Clemson game- polished off a sparkling strawberry mead & now......drum roll please....my very own signature amaretto sour. Limoncello/Amaretto-topped off with a splash of cherry bounce. All home made-All high ABV..neat

loveofrose
10-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Flare Star Braggot. Turned out better than I thought!

mannye
10-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Woodpecker Cider. Got a keg of it. Alcopop but tasty at about 33F. The folks at the family reunion will like it. And the keg of Mich Ultra.

My wife's family aren't too keen on "new stuff". The Woodpecker is about as "crazy" as we can get.

loveofrose
10-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Jack BOMM. Delicious apple explosion with intense orange blossom aroma.

The 32% ABV doesn't hurt when you just had to put your puppy of 12 years down. [emoji22]

Here's to Amber!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/08/cc586a1287a538044b114b74eaa4e74b.jpg

pokerfacepablo
10-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Sorry man, tough loss.

bmwr75
10-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Sorry for your loss Bray. We have 5 dogs.......and three of them are pretty aged. Don't look forward to that day.

loveofrose
10-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys.

danr
10-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Here's to Amber!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/08/cc586a1287a538044b114b74eaa4e74b.jpg

I am drinking a Midas Touch beer by Dogfish Head to Amber. Very sorry for you loss Bray.

Dan

storm1969
10-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Last night I was drinking some of my 2010 Petite Sirah.

stephanie.palmatier
10-20-2015, 10:03 AM
I've been drinking cider I got from my trip to Burlington, VT. A couple of the ones we bought came in grolsch swing top bottles, something I am probably way too excited about.

Also lots of tea ( with honey of course) cuz I have a sore throat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MrRogers
10-21-2015, 04:41 AM
Last weekend I was in London. To visit some friends and go to a concert.
Of course, I had to try all the real ale I could get my hands on. And, more importantly, mead.
Gosnells mead (http://www.gosnells.co.uk/).

Their bar is outside of the meadery, at the moment installed in a garage in the Peckham district, outside of the city, and it only opens on Saturdays.
Unfortunately the mead maker wasn't there at the time, so I couldn't get all the details about the process.
I was mostly interested because I've been trying to make light alcohol sparkling meads, which most of the times end up with little body and flavor, since they're dry and naturally carbonated.
This one is on the sweet side, with a bit of acidity and slightly sparkling. According to the buckets I saw outside, it has orange blossom honey (I'm not sure if it's the only one). In their website they mention that it's fermented for 10 days, bottled and pasteurized (I guess it's back-sweetened before bottling, as opposed to bottled before fermentation is complete, but that's not specified).
On tap they had a few variations of their basic mead, including one with American oak and another one with French oak, which was my favorite.
I brought back a couple of bottles, so I have to check how different they get in the bottled version. Maybe I'll write a proper review then. :)

mannye
10-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Wow. 10 day mead! I would love to get my hands on that recipe! I would quickly have three kegs full of mead!

MrRogers
10-21-2015, 08:45 AM
I don't expect it to be very hard to do.
Such a low gravity mead would be very quick to ferment. And being sweet it should hide any rough flavor more easily.

GntlKnigt1
10-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Hmmm...ferments on 10 days, but aged how long?

MrRogers
10-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Also not very long, I guess.
It doesn't mention anything in the website now, I think. I remember reading somewhere that it was fermented with a lager yeast. Now I'm not sure.
In any case it's done with a beer yeast, it's low gravity, it's sweet, so it shouldn't require much aging, I guess.

ScottBehrens
10-31-2015, 03:14 PM
Trying to force down my first JAOM but didn't make it and neither did the jaom. Luckily had a commercial mead to wash it away with.

mannye
10-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear you had to force it down! What was unpleasant?

ScottBehrens
10-31-2015, 04:58 PM
It is over the top pith. Its awful. Enough to destroy everything else except sweetness.

Mazer828
11-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Had an elderberry mel from Honeyrun Meadery. Wow! It was amazing. I can't say I've ever had a mead that good before. Dark and jammy, semisweet, and round, and a bit tart like a cab. I loved it! I suspected it was a pyment, but it specifically said no grapes were used. A new bar has been set for my mels! Incredible. And best of all, it was only $16!

kudapucat
11-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Elderberries are very grapelike when fermented.

mannye
11-02-2015, 06:02 PM
It is over the top pith. Its awful. Enough to destroy everything else except sweetness.

How old is it? Young JAOM can be pithy.

ScottBehrens
11-02-2015, 06:21 PM
I pitched in mid July. Used one large orange wedged as instructed. Fruit is all dropped except for a couple stubborn raisins, its clear but not crystal. I will siphon off the golden nectar tomorrow and put it up for a while.

mannye
11-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Yeah maybe the orange had a thick pith or was extra bitter. I find that i like it much better with tangerines. With about a year on it the flavor starts turning into liquid Jolly Rancher orange. Just forget about it until next summer after you rack it and top it off.

kudapucat
11-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Yeah maybe the orange had a thick pith or was extra bitter. I find that i like it much better with tangerines. With about a year on it the flavor starts turning into liquid Jolly Rancher orange. Just forget about it until next summer after you rack it and top it off.

+1

give it time. Make something else. You'll be surprised.

stephanie.palmatier
11-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Had an elderberry mel from Honeyrun Meadery. Wow! It was amazing. I can't say I've ever had a mead that good before. Dark and jammy, semisweet, and round, and a bit tart like a cab. I loved it! I suspected it was a pyment, but it specifically said no grapes were used. A new bar has been set for my mels! Incredible. And best of all, it was only $16!

I have one of those in my bar that traveled all the way across the country with me in the move from CA to NY. I don't remember if I've had it yet, but I don't want to drink it yet because I don't know if I can find more around here. I did find the Blackberry Honeyrun in one of the local liquor shops (I think it was $13). Maybe I can ask them if they can get the Elderberry... I tried an Elderberry at Yellowstone, and I remember I liked it, but don't remember it being pyment-like. I can't really say I've had a pyment before other than the one I have fermenting now, though.

I've been drinking ciders lately. I've been slowly drinking the one I got from Vermont Boyden Valley Winery during the past two days. Double Burbon Cider... aged in French Oak Barrels. 6.9% I rather like this cider. I got it for the grolsh top bottle, to be honest (also my husband loves burbon). We have another cider from the same company with black currants that I may need to drink soon because I want to reuse the bottles.

I also had Groennfell Meadery's Chaos Cyser, which was okay. I don't really enjoy carbonation or dry, but I knew even before going to their meadery that most of their meads would be like this. I had hoped the cyser would be a bit sweeter, but this was not the case. The autumn seasonal they had striked me in a similar way. Not really my thing, but I will drink it. The spices do something nice for it though.

PapaScout
11-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I think I just found my absolute favorite wine - Gascon Colosal Red Blend 2012. WOW! I love Malbecs and this one has the "big" Malbec edge with a softer finish. I will be buying whatever my liquor store has on Monday (I live in Indiana so can't buy on Sunday).

If you like a strong wine try this one. Momma I'm home.

kudapucat
11-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Bee Mead, sweet carbonated hydromel.
Really quite good. Well made, though a mite too sweet for my taste. My wife loves it. Which is reason enough to buy more.

mannye
11-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Woodchuck Cider. A bit too sweet, but good with spicy food. I like my cider dry if I'm drinking more than a few ounces. Northern Spain style.

kudapucat
11-07-2015, 10:48 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/07/442fb757b774f1c6baad89cd6d9f40b3.jpg

GntlKnigt1
11-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Drink well, my friends. http://www.wawwj.com/2015/_ENS/ran_wine.php

pokerfacepablo
11-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Drink well, my friends. http://www.wawwj.com/2015/_ENS/ran_wine.php
Moonlight right at the top. Nice!

ScottBehrens
11-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Very exciting to see mead at number one, and take 10 spots out of 100.

storm1969
11-08-2015, 11:39 PM
One of my Nectarine meads

kudapucat
11-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Tasting the chai bochet today.

mannye
11-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Congratulations Moonstruck! Nice!

stephanie.palmatier
11-09-2015, 09:54 PM
I finally opened that bottle of Honeyrun Elderberry Honey Wine that I had been hanging on to for about 4 years. It was very nice.

58limited
11-09-2015, 10:08 PM
My ginger Johannesburg Riesling mead. It is more a metheglin than a pyment/melomel - not much Riesling juice used. It is aging well, needs a little more time though.

EJM3
11-12-2015, 03:23 PM
In the last few weeks there have been:

Orval
Weihenstephaner Wheat
Drad Dry Trad (17.06%)*
Essence of Utah 2014*
Rhodomel #1*
Anchor Steam
Wasatch brewing Evolution Amber Ale & Polygamy Porter
Laughing Dog brewery Huckleberry Cream Ale
Ommegang Belgian Style Witt
Pfriem Belgian Blond
Fremont brewing The Brother IIPA
Banana Bread Beer*
Ed's Subtle Cinnamon Orange & Spiced JAOv*
Oaked Drad Dry Trad*

*=My own

Forgetting a few, but only because it's been a few months since I last posted!!!

GntlKnigt1
11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Forgot? Looks like you kept a log! Lol

storm1969
11-12-2015, 10:01 PM
sadly, water...

EJM3
11-12-2015, 10:23 PM
Alas poor storm1969
For he hath no wine
But not to worry
He shall be fine
For you see
He can have some of mine...

kudapucat
11-13-2015, 08:14 AM
2 month old Redgum Chai Bochet. Sweet, and light 9% ABV.
I'm really liking this.
It's the first bottle of the meadage. (Vintage?) and its travelling just fine.
I look forward to how it tracks at the show this weekend.

kudapucat
11-13-2015, 08:20 AM
There once was a man named storm,
Who moped about, quite forlorn.
'til EJM3
Said: drink some with me
So they drank 'til the wee early morn.

storm1969
11-14-2015, 12:28 PM
lol, you guys are great!

Drinking my 2010 Petite Sirah, now!

stephanie.palmatier
11-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Opened a bottle of Saratoga Winery's Bloodroot the other day. One of my favorite melomels (pyments?) from them. It is made with 88% grapes and 12% honey and tastes of black cherry, currant, vanilla, and spice. All of their melomels are sweet and this is probably my favorite of theirs (Spitfire comes close too). Makes me wonder why they chose to call it a melomel over a pyment, but I guess that's just marketing strategy.

I also had a bottle of Apple Wine made with 8% honey. It was good but nothing really stood out to me about it. I forget where it was from- somewhere in NY state.

kudapucat
11-14-2015, 02:15 PM
So. I have the inside word from the show, and it's shiny.

Mazer828
11-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Tasted my medium toast bochet, made with added tincture of cocoa nibs, and oak. Very very smooth and round. Daddy is proud.

loveofrose
11-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Congrats kudapucat! I didn't win anything from my Vikings Fuzzy Nazel (yet), but you cannot tell from my smile!

kudapucat
11-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Congrats kudapucat! I didn't win anything from my Vikings Fuzzy Nazel (yet), but you cannot tell from my smile!

Thanks.
See more details on this thread.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23758

ScottBehrens
11-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Very well deserved ranking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ee5a7cg2n1k8iz/File%20Nov%2025%2C%206%2057%2031%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

EJM3
12-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Well, a few more worth mentioning have been felled by me:

Orval Trappist Ale
Six Knot High Desert Dry Cider
Ninkasi Sleigh'r Dark Double Alt Ale
Pfriem Belgian Style Dark Ale
Pfriem Belgian Style Christmas Ale
Pfriem Belgian Style Wit
Fire Stone Wooky Jack Black Rye IPA
Grizzly Ciderworks Woodlander Wit-Style Hard Cider

Friends contribution:

Elysian Immortal IPA

Love me some tasty brews & ciders too...

stephanie.palmatier
12-26-2015, 01:09 PM
We opened up a bottle of Helderberg Meadworks' Apple Mead on xmas eve and finished it on xmas. It was quite good. I would say it was probably off-dry, as it wasn't very sweet, but I still liked it.

curgoth
12-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Alton Brown's Aged Egg Nog (http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/)

Clwurster
12-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Just opened a 2 year old JOAM. Very nice. Honey flavor coming thru. Smooth. Flavors balanced out nicely. Hey papascout, where you at? I'm in Indiana also-south of Fort Wayne

stephanie.palmatier
12-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Opened a bottle of 810 Meadworks' Royal Squeeze. Very sweet. The OB honey really comes through. It is made with mango, but hard to detect over the honey taste. Very good.

mmclean
12-31-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm not really sure. I think it is some two year old spiced cyser. Anyway it taste great and has a bit of a kick. Happy new years!

EJM3
01-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Was gifted a bottle of Delirium Tremens over the holidays, decided to pop the cork after the crazed maniacs, I mean the tourists, left town.

Working wonders on my taste buds, three yeast combo from what I am reading.

Pretty close to taste Nirvana, the 8.5% ABV is really not that apparent, until you try to stand...

This is a real sip & savor, it's light, dry & with a slight tart finish.

Wonderful flavors from the grain shine through it all...

Price if I had bought one, well, I wouldn't have bought one, let's put it that way...

Although after tasting it I'd probably spring for one next year at holiday times, provided I can afford one!

EJM3
01-09-2016, 02:19 AM
Found a bottle of 2013 Ovila Saison

Quite tasty, wonderfully complex, not much funk, great intro to the saison family of beers...

JDWebb
01-25-2016, 02:01 PM
One shot of Irish Cream and one shot of homemade molasses Kahlua in a cup of dark, rich coffee...espresso. Note the "homemade" part...LOL

58limited
01-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Left Hand Nitro - a pretty good milk stout.

Later I'll have some of my Cherry Russian mead.

Mazer828
01-25-2016, 08:48 PM
At the moment, some run-of-the-mill black orange pekoe tea, while I get some work done, and occasionally play hookie on GM.

As soon as all of that foolishness is over, I'll be moving on to a nice French Cabernet-Merlot I picked up from Trader Joe's. Viva la Resistance!

ScottBehrens
02-11-2016, 07:34 PM
You've heard the reviews. Its awesome to say the least.1732

stephanie.palmatier
03-05-2016, 05:07 PM
We finally got the shipment of fruit mead from Hidden Legend Winery about a week ago. I had ordered it for my husband for V-day, but the first attempt was damaged; they replaced it.

We opened up the Peach Mead a few days ago. I didn't taste much fruit flavor, but it was still a good mead. The peach was only 20% compared to 40% fruit in the other bottles. We've tried their Huckleberry Mead before when we went to Yellowstone and that was delicious.

Mazer828
03-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Drinking my own plum melomel. Oaked with light toast American oak. I have to say it's simply incredible. The nose is so good I almost forget to actually drink it! My wife says it needs to go to the Mazer Cup next year. Guess I might just have to be the obedient husband! Lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCl7wIlABbm/

Mazer828
03-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Just bottled my latest batch of what I call a session mead. Local orange blossom only, lightly carbonated, and about 9% ABV. I call it Dangerously Drinkable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9CH76gBWJ/

And of course there was a little bit that just wouldn't fill a full bottle...[emoji6]

pokerfacepablo
03-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Not a damn thing until this tumor in my ear comes out.

GntlKnigt1
03-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Ouch! Sounds painful !!! Hope I'm wrong about that, and it all goes well.

pokerfacepablo
03-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Ouch! Sounds painful !!! Hope I'm wrong about that, and it all goes well.
Actually no pain. Hearing loss and dizziness. Going to the mayo clinic on the 24th. If I drink, things get a little more off balance... so on a little hiatus.

Mazer828
03-14-2016, 11:44 PM
Actually no pain. Hearing loss and dizziness. Going to the mayo clinic on the 24th. If I drink, things get a little more off balance... so on a little hiatus.

Actual tumor, or is it something less...ugly? Praying the best for you, regardless.

pokerfacepablo
03-15-2016, 12:01 AM
Actual tumor, or is it something less...ugly? Praying the best for you, regardless.
99% are benign. It is a tumor but small. I'll live but not being able to drink. I had some stuff I wanted to send into the mazer cup but I've taken a hiatus from brewing.

Squatchy
03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Drinking my own plum melomel. Oaked with light toast American oak. I have to say it's simply incredible. The nose is so good I almost forget to actually drink it! My wife says it needs to go to the Mazer Cup next year. Guess I might just have to be the obedient husband! Lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCl7wIlABbm/

If that taste as nice as it looks you have a real gem.

ScottBehrens
03-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Enough Mazer Cup mead to induce coma.

TheAlchemist
06-15-2016, 05:59 PM
I just procured a bottle of Wild Blossom Reserve S'Mores Bochet. Will keep you posted once it's open...

TheAlchemist
06-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Acoustic neuroma? Hope you're all better!

Not a damn thing until this tumor in my ear comes out.

pokerfacepablo
06-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Acoustic neuroma? Hope you're all better!
Had surgery at the mayo two months ago. I felt like a drunk toddler at the beginning but feel much better now. Thank you [emoji3]

mannye
07-30-2016, 02:03 AM
Hey! Jeez... you neglect a thread for a little while and people have to get surgery! But the more important question is... when can you drink again????