PDA

View Full Version : Two Basic Melomel Questions

ejcrist
07-22-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm in the process of making my first batch of mead which is actually a mango melomel. It's almost done the primary fermentation so I'll be racking into a carboy very soon. My first question is after-the-fact, but I've been punching down the cap twice daily like you do when making wine. Is that the correct thing to do when making a melomel? Intuitively I believe it is for the same reasons you do it when making grape wine (allow gas to escape, inhibit mold, and impart flavor). For the first 8 days I stirred the mead three times a day so I really wasn't punching down the cap, but after day eight I omitted the stirring and just pushed the mango slices down. They weren't floating very much the last two days so I'm not sure it was necessary but I lightly pushed the slices under anyway. I just wat to be careful not to oxidize the mead but 'm thinking I'm fine since it should have a layer of gas blanketing it.

My second question involves racking the mead into the secondary. I'll be using an auto-siphon and I'm worried it might get clogged with mango debris. Is there any standard operating procedure that you should do to avoid clogging? I thought about putting a piece of cheesecloth or fabricating some type of screen over the siphon bottom but I'm interested in what others do.

Thanks, Gene

JayH
07-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Yes, punching it down was the correct thing to do and you are correct that there should have been a blanket of CO2 over it so you should be just fine.

As far as the mango pieces, if the are large enough, or completely sunk to the bottom I don't worry and am just careful with my siphon. On the other hand if they are still suspended and smallish, then yes a piece of Cheesecloth would help (just sterilize it first).

Cheers
Jay

Ironpapa40
07-23-2015, 08:30 AM
I learned a trick from oskaar when racking off lots of fruit. I use a sterilized stainless steel scouring pad over the end of my racking cane. You can get them at walmart in a pack of three. Works great.

ejcrist
07-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info fella's. The scouring pad filter is a great idea.

Gene