PDA

View Full Version : First mead done! read for 2nd batch!

Fasterfred
07-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Hi all,
Fred here, My first batch (JAOM) turned out GREAT!(Thanks Joe!) First off I live in south Florida and Mangos are in full swing here so, Now I am wanting to try a Mango,Peach and Vanilla bean Mead, any recipes and or advice? I really have no idea of what i`m doing so any help/ advice would be greatly welcome! thanks in advance and if there is info on this feel free to point me in the right direction!
Fred:D

mannye
07-26-2015, 01:47 AM
Dude! I'm in Miami. I can help! PM me.

Fasterfred
12-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Ok, so i made 6 gal of my 2nd batch 16 lbs ob honey, 15 lbs mangos, 5 lbs peaches and 2 vanilla beans. I used lavin b71 (i think thats it) it bubbled like mad for 4 or 5 days then stopped . So i added 2 more lbs honey .it started back up. More later
Fred

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Squatchy
12-07-2015, 11:21 AM
You need to feed that batch :)

That is a very small amount of fruit. You could easily double that. You could add more honey as well. 71-b will take that dry. You will probably want to add even more than the advised amount after you stabilize. The stuff in primary will give you a base. If you want a stronger presence add even more after you stabilize.

Fasterfred
12-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Well to make a long story short i ended up with a very strong 18% abv mead, quite dry with a bad kerosene taste and not much mango/peach flavor. Now I've racked it into smaller carboys to bulk age in the hopes that in a year it might be drinkable.
The next attempt will be a standard Bomm!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk