PDA

View Full Version : A peach peeling trick

Squatchy
08-15-2015, 11:25 AM
So I bought 2 boxes of very very good peaches. I froze them when they were at peak flavor. Today I took them out and ran hot water over them in the sink for just a minute or less. That was all it took to peel them in one squeeze. I grabbed them and squeezed them and the entire skin slipped off in one piece. I took me less than 5 minutes to do the whole 40 lbs. I'm sure this would work with other fruits. Such as pears, plumbs, nectarines, cherries and the like.

PapaScout
08-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Neat tip! Thanks!

Is there a benefit to removing the peel? I've depitted but left the peel on.

Goodfellow
08-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Excellent advice, I'll keep that in mind!

mannye
08-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Not sure about peaches but the peel often has bitter flavor not to mention most of the nasty stuff is sprayed on the peel.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

curgoth
08-17-2015, 10:35 AM
I definitely found that the skin added an untoward amount of bitterness with peaches. Pears, the bitter edge to the flavour was lovely. With peaches, very much not.

This is wonderfully well timed, since I will be hitting Ontario's fruit growing region this coming weekend to load up on pears and peaches for the next year of melomels. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to grab some blackberries as well.

ostensibly
08-17-2015, 03:35 PM
did you pit them too? pitting frozen peaches is a nightmare iirc.

curgoth
08-18-2015, 12:46 PM
I cut the pits out before freezing, then froze in bags with a set weight. My plan if I skin this year's haul is to save the skins so I can add a little back in for tannin balance.

Squatchy
08-19-2015, 12:17 AM
pitting was easy. I could just split most of them in half. If they were to frozen I could cut to the seed and then break the seed away from the flesh