• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Topping off a Pear Juice Melomel?

Barrel Char Wood Products

kendeebot

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2015
Here are the basic components of my recipe:
2 lb honey
3 2/3 quarts of organic pear juice
Wyeast 1388 (whole smack pack)
S.G.: 1.12

I brewed on 8/16 and the current gravity is 1.012, I have 1 gallon fermenting nicely. My question is when it comes time to rack should I top it off? And if so, should I use something like the original must? Would topping it off with water (since I didn't use any in the original must) change the taste too much? I don't have a way to add co2, so I want to top it off at least to some extent to help prevent oxidation, right? I read some great ideas in another post (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/13643-topping-off-wines-cysers-pyments) but I'm only working with a 1 gallon batch here. And I guess I'm just wanting to preserve the sweetness and taste.

kendeebot

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2015
I haven't racked yet, but I assume from racking my previous batch it'll leave behind about an inch of liquid/lees. Maybe about 3/4 to 1 quart? Is that a small enough amount not to worry about it? There is quite a bit of sediment settled on the bottom.

Last edited:

kendeebot

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks everyone!! It does sound a lot like your Perry BOMM curgoth, wish I had seen that beforehand I would've just followed your recipe haha

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns