PDA

View Full Version : Making mead with a friend or family

GntlKnigt1
08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
I will be back in Chicago soon for a visit, and am looking forward to starting a batch with my younger son. Both sons have been involved with earlier batches, and designing labels. Among some of my fav memories. My wife is becoming quite well versed in it too, and helps with making and bottling.

What are some of your memories with family and friends? I would guess the are "Exactly the same only different." (Courtesy of the late, great Jim Glowacki).

JayH
08-28-2015, 08:28 PM
A friend of mine is well known for making an excellent Chocolate porter (with actual Coco, not just Chocolate grains). One day in a hurry he brought a keg to a brew party without even tasting it first. Everyone complimented him on his Chocolate Mint porter.

Mint?? he hadn't put any mint in his porter, now there are lots of off flavors you can get, but strong spearmint is not one of them. After several attempts to duplicate this to no avail, he and some friends were sitting around the kitchen table discussing what could possibly have caused the Spearmint flavor when his wife looked at him and said "Honey promise not to get upset. I saw your daughter (about 2 at the time) spit a mouthful of those red and white after dinner mints into one of your carboys a couple of months ago". So now his Chocolate Mint porter is named in her honer.

Cheers
Jay

PapaScout
08-29-2015, 12:07 AM
My 13 yo is a champ at using the floor corker - does that count? :)

ostensibly
08-30-2015, 08:30 AM
My 6 yo loves using the autosiphon, the floor corker, the hydrometer, pH strips. He's helped with almost every batch of mead and wine I've made in the last 4 years, it's pretty awesome.

GntlKnigt1
08-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Lol...did you get pics?

ostensibly
08-31-2015, 09:23 AM
oh yeah, all well-documented :D