PDA

View Full Version : Save an old piano!

mannye
08-30-2015, 12:35 AM
https://vimeo.com/137724918

This is a video of the tuner playing this 105 year old player piano I wanted to restore. It is a wonderful instrument but sadly, the restoration is way too expensive for my budget. I needed a player piano and not a regular piano so I got another, working player and this one is sitting in my ante-room. But not for much longer. If I can't get someone to take it, it's going to have to go to the big concert hall in the sky. I know it's a long shot but if anyone knows anyone that wants an upright with a great sound, here it is for free!

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

58limited
08-30-2015, 11:22 AM
List it on your local Craig's List and see what happens. I have an 1884 Chickering that needs restoration. For now its sitting in my living room.

ScottBehrens
08-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Why don't you stay
Justa little bit longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pHlX1xGARA

mannye
08-31-2015, 05:11 PM
List it on your local Craig's List and see what happens. I have an 1884 Chickering that needs restoration. For now its sitting in my living room.

I tried that. Miami is so full of weird people I took it down. Not one legit call. Sigh.

I'm from New York, hung out in the village and alphabet city as a teenager sometimes all night. Never got nervous. But the freaks I meet here make all spider senses tingle. This is a crazy (in the clinical sense) place.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

ScottBehrens
08-31-2015, 07:33 PM
You might try contacting a piano store, some of them take them in on consignment. The store my wife got hers had several up here, so I bet there are lots in Miami. Not sure how that all works, but it may get it out of your way.

JayH
08-31-2015, 08:04 PM
Years ago when I lived in San Diego there was a piano tuners/repairers club. They did this for fun, weird huh :) but if you could find one in your part of Florida I'll bet someone would love it.

Also it basically works as a regular piano, there has to be a senior center, a teen center, a community center somewhere that could use a piano.

Cheers
Jay

kudapucat
09-01-2015, 07:01 PM
I'd throw it on eBay for 0.99c

mannye
09-06-2015, 07:19 PM
I'd throw it on eBay for 0.99c

It's been there for a month. At 0.99c.

[emoji41]

JayH
09-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Just for fun, you might relist it as a good piano that plays OK and price it at say $100-200 dollars. at 0.99c most people probably think it is just a piece of junk that you are hunting for them to get rid of for you.

58limited
09-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Some antique shops will take things to sell on consignment, you might look into that.

mannye
09-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll try them all.

I really do want to save it. I would even pay to take it to a storage place until I could do the work myself in a year or three.

mannye
09-16-2015, 07:26 PM
It found a new home! Last minute salvation. Saved from the dump hours before the sanitation guys were going to break it up and haul it away.

kudapucat
09-17-2015, 01:22 AM
Awesome news!