PDA

View Full Version : Mead Newbee

Danskevik
09-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Hi, simple question I hope, so I made the mix added the yeast etc etc but no bubbles etc appeared the next day, so I shook it violently (the only way) and left it, 24 hrs later I looked and it seemed to be motionless so I took the airlock out, put my thumb over the hole and shook.....bad idea, all the air was released and I managed to save any liquid....so I put another pkt of yeast in and have left it alone, is this normal practice for an idiot ? Have I ruined it ? Thanks guys.

bernardsmith
09-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Hi Danskevik - Welcome, Pilgrim. Doubt that anything you did after adding the yeast has "ruined" anything but the real question is what exactly is in the 'mix' and what yeast did you add and how did you prepare the yeast? What was /is the temperature of the room where you are fermenting. Could you perhaps give some details of your ingredients and the processes you used? The secret is always hidden in the details. ;)

Danskevik
09-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Hi Danskevik - Welcome, Pilgrim. Doubt that anything you did after adding the yeast has "ruined" anything but the real question is what exactly is in the 'mix' and what yeast did you add and how did you prepare the yeast? What was /is the temperature of the room where you are fermenting. Could you perhaps give some details of your ingredients and the processes you used? The secret is always hidden in the details. ;)

Apologies, basically 2 pints of water, (boiled) 454g of runny honey x5, 2 tbl spoons of citric additive, half a cup of Luke warm water with the prepared yeast (sachet) and sugar and tspoon of yeast enhancer, all came in a kit offa the web 😀, room temperature is about 18-25 C maybe, basically in the hot press, hope that helps or hammers the nail in the coffin 😂👍

Danskevik
09-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Sorry, I mean 4 pints of water.

kudapucat
09-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Danskevik,
You really need to post your recipe and all your notes to date at the top of the thread.
If you don't have any notes, Oskaar will hunt you down.

From what you've told us, you'll probably be fine, but more detailed info won't go astray.

half a kilo of honey in 2 litres is a bit on the light side, so expect a dry mead.

What was your starting gravity?
What was the temperature?
What's the gravity now?
How did it taste?
How does it taste?
What yeast did you use?
etc...

bernardsmith
09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Apologies, basically 2 pints of water, (boiled) 454g of runny honey x5, 2 tbl spoons of citric additive, half a cup of Luke warm water with the prepared yeast (sachet) and sugar and tspoon of yeast enhancer, all came in a kit offa the web ��, room temperature is about 18-25 C maybe, basically in the hot press, hope that helps or hammers the nail in the coffin ����

What is the X5? is that times the honey or times the citric acid or what? If that is the quantity of honey - approx 2 Kg and you are using 2 pts of water then I have to disagree with kudapucat as that is equivalent to 16 lbs of honey in 1 gallon (8 Kg in 4 L) which is an incredibly difficult load of sugar for any yeast to lift.... But like kudapucat suggests a detailed list of ingredients and the processes you used would be helpful.

kudapucat
09-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Damn. I missed that. Yep. More info please.