PDA

View Full Version : fruit in secondary

CrazyHedgehog
09-05-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a question please,
how long do people leave fruit in secondary?
When I was researching melomels, I found conflicting advice, fruit in primary adds to the body of the mead, but fruit in secondary adds to the flavour.....
so.... I made (am making) a melon melomel. I did both!
I added a galia melon to the primary, when it calmed down a lot and had a bit of sediment, (about 3 weeks) I racked it off the fruit and lees and added another chopped up galia melon. how long should I leave the fruit in secondary? its been about 2 weeks and hasn't lost colour or anything yet, but don't want to leave it in too long if it will be detrimental. many thanks.

Squatchy
09-05-2015, 06:58 PM
I think many consider 2 weeks a good amount of time for the flavors to transfer. I think it happens faster in primary than in secondary but I don't have any way to know that for sure. I think fruit in either the primary or secondary adds to body. How could it not?
It's no secrete that fruit, once it gets fermented, changes flavor considerably. If secondary is late enough that fermentation is finished, and providing the additions doesn't start up fermentation again, then the fruit only adds the natural fruit flavors and taste. I have done a little experimenting with this. It depends what you are shooting for, but, I like fruit up front and after. The up front fruit adds some mystery flavors,, or depth. And the final add give you the jammy, fruity flavors.

Some fruit doesn't taste to great if you run it dry. Raspberries have a tart finish for example. So I guess acidity comes into play as to wither you want to run a batch dry with fruit only in the primary.

fatbloke
09-06-2015, 03:26 AM
I think many consider 2 weeks a good amount of time for the flavors to transfer. I think it happens faster in primary than in secondary but I don't have any way to know that for sure. I think fruit in either the primary or secondary adds to body. How could it not?
It's no secrete that fruit, once it gets fermented, changes flavor considerably. If secondary is late enough that fermentation is finished, and providing the additions doesn't start up fermentation again, then the fruit only adds the natural fruit flavors and taste. I have done a little experimenting with this. It depends what you are shooting for, but, I like fruit up front and after. The up front fruit adds some mystery flavors,, or depth. And the final add give you the jammy, fruity flavors.

Some fruit doesn't taste to great if you run it dry. Raspberries have a tart finish for example. So I guess acidity comes into play as to wither you want to run a batch dry with fruit only in the primary.
Raspberries demonstrate how sweetness can cover a fundamental acidic taste. Back sweeten it and some of the fruit flavour is recovered, . Meddle with the pH using chems can alter both flavour and body/mouthfeel perception......