PDA

View Full Version : Converting a small recipe to a bigger container

EgmondsGoud
09-12-2015, 07:56 AM
After succesfully doing this small JAOM recipe, I want to translate it to fit a bigger container of 20L. I have calculated the ratio to about 4.5 which will make 18 liters of content in my 20L container.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/32762-jao-the-ultimate-beginners-mead-recipe/

Normal ratio: As seen in the JAOM recipe above.

Ratio of 4.5 for a 20 liter container with 18 liters of actual content:
- Honey, 7.2kg

My question is, will I still be able to use the normal bread yeast like in the small recipe, and just adjust it to fit the ratio? Is there such a thing as using too much yeast?

Any input is appreciated.

EgmondsGoud
09-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Also, should I actually hydrate my yeast now that the content is much greater so that it can blend more with the content?

Squatchy
09-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Professional breweries control pitch rates. But as a home guy you would really be hard pressed to over pitch. If it were me I would rehydrate with Go-Ferm according to their protocol. If you don't want to do that just plain water would be second best. Put it in 104 degree water for 15 minutes before you pitch. And yes you can just bump up your yeast packets according to your ratios. It's not a "blending issue". When the yeast are dry the membrane cannot control what passes through it while it rehydrates and you then have it absorbing things that handicap their performance. Once the membrane is hydrated the yeast can then control what passes in and out of it. When one pitches a dry yeast into the must many of them die in the process and the survivors end up challenged/handicapped. DAP is especially harmful in the process.

I looked at your link. If you want it so sweet that your OG is so high to cause Osmotic concerns, you can start it at a lower OG and them just add the rest of the honey after the yeast have lowered it some

EgmondsGoud
09-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Professional breweries control pitch rates. But as a home guy you would really be hard pressed to over pitch. If it were me I would rehydrate with Go-Ferm according to their protocol. If you don't want to do that just plain water would be second best. Put it in 104 degree water for 15 minutes before you pitch. And yes you can just bump up your yeast packets according to your ratios. It's not a "blending issue". When the yeast are dry the membrane cannot control what passes through it while it rehydrates and you then have it absorbing things that handicap their performance. Once the membrane is hydrated the yeast can then control what passes in and out of it. When one pitches a dry yeast into the must many of them die in the process and the survivors end up challenged/handicapped. DAP is especially harmful in the process.

I looked at your link. If you want it so sweet that your OG is so high to cause Osmotic concerns, you can start it at a lower OG and them just add the rest of the honey after the yeast have lowered it some

Interesting, thanks for the info!