PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday's GotMead Live

JDWebb
09-13-2015, 06:35 PM
http://www.jamesdwebb.com/images/gotmeadsmall.jpgIt will be just me and AJ Tuesday night, and we intend to have some fun. Sort of the cat out of the house, and mice taking over deal. While Vicky is out of town, we're planing on having some fun, so put it on your calendar, make sure you have a bottle of mead on hand and a comfortable place to sit. We may have some special guests show up as well. It will be an informal show rounding out our season before we go on hiatus for a couple weeks. Listen for the call-in announcement, we'll want to hear from you too! Tell us how you started, your experiences, your best mead, your worst mead, or anything you want to bring to the table that night! Don't forget, GotMead Live, Tuesday night September 15th, 9pm est.

Here are some show links to listen live, bookmark 'em!:

GotMead Live (http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live-radio-show.html) at GotMead.com
GotMead Live (http://tunein.com/radio/GotMead-Live-s250118/) at Tune In Radio

PapaScout
09-13-2015, 07:28 PM
That sounds great, JD! Thanks for the reminder!

kudapucat
09-14-2015, 02:34 AM
I'm even farther away! 3 hours. Almost as far as possible!
It'll be a 2:00pm show here, but alas, I'll miss it once more. :-(
Make sure Chris calls in for the Mississippi perspective.

JDWebb
09-15-2015, 07:58 PM
GotMead Live Radio is live! Enjoy some music by "Weeds" before we get the show started. See you in about an hour!
Link 1 (http://tunein.com/radio/GotMead-Live-s250118/)
Link 2 (http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live-radio-show.html)

Stasis
09-16-2015, 12:16 AM
Great show. Had a blast!

58limited
09-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Great show. Had a blast!

I agree, talking with everyone in an informal setting was great fun. It is interesting to see the different approaches we all use to arrive at a good mead.

If I recall it was Tyson who mentioned Groennfell Meadery's youtube videos. I've watched about half of them since last night and they are both fun and informative. It would be a hoot if you can get them to appear on Gotmead Live.

Mazer828
09-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Looking for the podcast! Any idea when it will be posted?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bernardsmith
09-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Yeah.. the podcast does not seem to have been posted to Soundcloud. Is there an expected date when the recording will be available?

PapaScout
09-18-2015, 06:52 PM
JD's a busy man. If timing is critical I'd suggest tuning into the show. :)

kudapucat
09-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks PapaScout. That's not really helpful, as not everybody can tune in.
Not everybody lives in the states either.
At 1:00pm on Wednesday I was giving a lecture.
At 2:00am Wednesday, GntlKnight was on an aeroplane.
I'm sure Mazer828 and Bernardsmith would tune in if they could.
After all, they're not complaining, or suggesting it's time sensitive, they're just asking if and when it will be podcasted. Experience shows it to be podcasted by now already.

PapaScout
09-19-2015, 02:20 AM
Apologies to all for my snarky comment.

kudapucat
09-19-2015, 02:43 AM
Apologies to all for my snarky comment.

Me too.
I was in a shitty mood.
I hereby attempt to accept your apology graciously.

Mazer828
09-20-2015, 08:54 PM
JD's a busy man. If timing is critical I'd suggest tuning into the show. :)
Ok I'll just Einstein express myself back in time and do that. [emoji52]

PapaScout
09-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Ok I'll just Einstein express myself back in time and do that. [emoji52]

I already apologized. Don't be a dick.

Mazer828
09-20-2015, 09:08 PM
I already apologized. Don't be a dick.
Yeah I replied before I read down that far. My bad.

PapaScout
09-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Yeah I replied before I read down that far. My bad.

No worries. Dick comment withdrawn. :)

Mazer828
09-21-2015, 01:24 AM
No worries. Dick comment withdrawn. :)
Thanks. Totally not trying to be a d!ck. Just a little sarcastic sometimes.

Mazer828
09-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Sooooo...still kinda wondering if we're going to get to listen to the show? I know they're taking like two or three weeks off. Does that mean we're GotMead "dark" until then? [emoji31]

kudapucat
09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
What a mess this thread's become!!

Stasis
09-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Well at the time of the show Vicky was unavailable. I think Vicky is the one with administrative rights to make changes to the website, and therefore to update links. Maybe she is still unavailable and hasn't gotten to updating links. This could be the same reason why we are not getting answers when it will be up: because the person who usually does it is not available and she also cannot give us a timeframe.
or maybe the episode got corrupted :P (just kidding)

kudapucat
09-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Corrupted recordings are not uncommon for young podcasts... let's not jinx them!

Vicky is around, but only occasionally, so I get the feeling she's not at home and has little free time. Soon perhaps.

JDWebb
09-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Been out of town for a bit, regarding the last show, we had an issue right at the start getting connected with AJ on Skype. We don't know what the exact problem was, but in order to start on time, I shut everything down and had to restart everything. We were finally able to connect with AJ, but I lost the first 30 minutes. I'll post it up this week. I saw it on a bumper sticker once, it read, "Sh*t Happens."

kudapucat
09-29-2015, 05:23 AM
I love being right. :-D

Thanks for the update JD.

Stasis
09-30-2015, 08:18 AM
During the show Jd Webb said he'd like to see my setup. Honestly, there's nothing special about it. Did some minor research and this is an HDPE Food Grade water barrel. It's excellent for when it's prickly pear wine and melomel season.
Speaking of which.. here's also an image of my pickings. That's 100kgs of prickly pears. Unfortunately I ran out of buckets to carry more tunas so I'll be heading back for at least another 150kgs. To put this into perspective: It takes me 10 hours to pick those and 40 hours to peel (not including the breaks). Luckily I get some help from my father in the peeling department

JDWebb
09-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Wow! Thats a boatload of prickly pear!

Stasis
09-30-2015, 05:49 PM
...It takes me 10 hours to pick those and 40 hours to peel

P.s By those I meant the total amount, not just the ones in the picture

JDWebb
09-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Do you cook them first? Hot water boil so they peel easy?

Stasis
10-01-2015, 09:39 PM
I don't leave them in water or pour hot water on them because:
- That would use up a lot of water and energy (if I use boiling water)
- Soaking them in any kind of water will allow the tunas to absorb some of the water. I go for a no-water-addition melomel
- I don't exactly peel them. I cut them in half and scoop out the pulp with a spoon a-la kiwi fruit. I found this to be quicker than peeling and makes adding boiling water (or plain water) pointless

That barrel is now full to the brim with fermenting prickly pears. I should hopefully be able to fill my 54ltr carboy. No additional nutrients and still the yeast are tearing into those fruits