PDA

View Full Version : Working on a mead recipe; looking for opinions

AriaSensei
09-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Hello everyone, I'm still relatively new to both home brewing and brewing mead, but after a couple of moderately successful beer batches, I'd like to put my effort into making some delicious mead.
That being said, I've got a 'recipe' of sorts that I'm working on that I would love to have critiqued before I commit myself to it.

-12 lbs of honey

-4gal of motts 100% apple juice

-dragon chai tea spice (cinnamon, rooibos, ginger root, clove)

-2 packets of yeast (am currently thinking of this http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/wlp705-sake-yeast.html or this http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/4184-sweet-mead-yeast.html for my yeast)

My goal is to ferment in a 5gal pail and then after about 3 weeks I'll siphon it into a carboy for the next few months. I was also thinking I might chop up a few apples and throw them into the initial fermenting stage.

Does everything here seem in order?

I've read over a few mead recipes and recommendations before coming here, but I'm rather sure I've missed a few things, so i figure it's best to inquire now, then waste a bunch of honey later.

curgoth
09-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Why those yeasts? The "sweet mead" yeasts have bad reputations for stalling. (also, you're in Toronto? So am I!) I'd be more tempted to start with something that riffs off f the BOMM recipe. You can still use the apple juice and tea, but use the nutrient protocol and yeast that goes with the BOMM (search on that topic here)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

AriaSensei
09-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Why those yeasts? The "sweet mead" yeasts have bad reputations for stalling. (also, you're in Toronto? So am I!) I'd be more tempted to start with something that riffs off f the BOMM recipe. You can still use the apple juice and tea, but use the nutrient protocol and yeast that goes with the BOMM (search on that topic here)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! GTA for the win! Upon further investigation I noticed the ones I was looking at weren't exactly my best options and I started looking at the lalvin brand of yeast. Specifically the K1-V1116. I'll look into the recipe you mentioned right now, cheers!

Squatchy
09-18-2015, 06:53 AM
I would suggest a different yeast. I think DV-10, D-47 or 71-b would be a better choice. You might also consider re-hydrating with Go-ferm and a nutrient protocol of some sort for sure. Scotts Labratory has a free pdf "cider hand book" you can down load for free. I has great information

Swordnut
09-18-2015, 09:00 AM
I concur, white wine yeast is the best way to go with a cyser. Also, keep the temperature in check, I find ciders to be more prone to develop off tastes than meads so keeping a steady fermentation at low temperature is important imho.