PDA

View Full Version : What should JAOM taste like?

Maylar
09-24-2015, 09:59 AM
When I racked my JAOM from primary I took a small taste and there was orange and honey (duh). Now 2 weeks later I had my first glass (chilled) and it's decidedly clove flavored. Not unpleasant, as I like cloves, but quite overwhelming. Does this mead change flavors with time?

BTW I only used 2 cloves... they are indeed powerful little buggers.

bmwr75
09-24-2015, 10:34 AM
It mellows with time. Think I used two cloves on my first and only JOAM batch so far and it was pretty strong clove flavor early on. But, the bottle I drank the other day seemed to have mellowed a lot.

Izzie1701
09-24-2015, 11:59 AM
How man gallons?

Maylar
09-24-2015, 01:20 PM
One gallon. One orange, one cinnamon stick, two cloves and a small handful of raisins. The initial taste sample came from near the bottom of the fermenter, so maybe that's why it was more orange flavored. But right now all I can taste is cloves.

Squatchy
09-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Over time the cloves will fad away. I made my first cyser with waaaayyyy to many cloves. I called the batch clover dose. I made it with clover honey and Whole foods mulling spices. I didn'y know better and the cloves was so strong it would have stripped the paint of my vehicle. & months later it had turned out very nice

JewishMonk
09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
I called the batch clover dose.
Ha! Well aren't you clover. I love when I come up with up good names.

loveofrose
09-26-2015, 08:00 AM
JAOM changes drastically over time. When young, the orange and clove is very powerful. The flavors are muddle and unfocused. Very little perfume is noticeable.

At 8-10 months, the clove dissipates, the flavor focused, and it gains a strong perfume of oranges that is simply wonderful. So wonderful in fact that I will never drink a JAOM less than 8 months old.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Maylar
09-26-2015, 11:46 AM
JAOM changes drastically over time. When young, the orange and clove is very powerful. The flavors are muddle and unfocused. Very little perfume is noticeable.

At 8-10 months, the clove dissipates, the flavor focused, and it gains a strong perfume of oranges that is simply wonderful. So wonderful in fact that I will never drink a JAOM less than 8 months old.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Well... I made this hoping to serve it at Thanksgiving. Cloves is kinda a holiday spice, maybe my guests will appreciate it... maybe they'll say, "Ick". I guess I'll reserve one bottle for the future.

mannye
09-28-2015, 12:55 AM
Try cutting it with some Cointreau. Yes its a cheap trick but it might kick the clove back.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Maylar
11-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Resurrecting this thread to report that I served up some of my JOAM at Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. It's only been a couple months since bottling, and the flavors have changed drastically. The overpowering clove has dissipated, there's a slight aroma of orange, and the smooth body of that wonderful honey. Even though it's about 15% ABV there's no real alcohol bite to it.

I'm thinkin' I need to start another batch of this. Yummy. Thanks Joe, wherever you are!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5658/21486665490_330da0a329_z.jpg

Steed
11-27-2015, 04:22 PM
just wondering what JAOM would taste like with other ingrediants. what would it taste like with heather or barley?