PDA

View Full Version : How to get listerine smell and taste

Mikeymu
09-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Either add add metabisulphate etc to try to stabilise when not quite finished fermenting or add some fruit juice from the supermarket that contains sulphites or allow high temps that the yeast cannot stand, etc etc etc. :(

Am I right?

JewishMonk
09-27-2015, 05:08 PM
That's definitely a way to stress out your yeasts. You could very easily get a Listerine taste by fermenting hot. Are you attempting to get this flavor on purpose? o_

Mikeymu
09-30-2015, 12:33 PM
No JM, I fear that the last batch of cyser has got the listerine taste because I added some apple juice ('cider' if you're in the US) from the supermarket that contained some sulphites. Just another of the things that can go wrong. I've done all those other things in the past....

Mikeymu
09-30-2015, 11:37 PM
On the other hand I'm now wondering if it has the listerine flavour because of the way I added the apple juice - not in increments but a whole litre in one go! Maybee that is what stressed out the yeast. Perhaps I will get some indication on here what might have been the cause.

bernardsmith
10-02-2015, 09:31 AM
"Sulphites"... or sorbates? I generally add k-meta (a sulfite) to fruit if the fruit is fresh or the juice has not been UV pasteurized. Sulfites, I think will evaporate off if given the chance. Sorbates will inhibit or prevent fermentation altogether because they prevent the yeast from reproducing. I am no expert, but I think that the flavors you refer to are far more likely to be caused by a pH that is too high (insufficient acidity) or possibly too high a fermentation temperature...

Mikeymu
10-02-2015, 01:51 PM
"Sulphites"... or sorbates? I generally add k-meta (a sulfite) to fruit if the fruit is fresh or the juice has not been UV pasteurized. Sulfites, I think will evaporate off if given the chance. Sorbates will inhibit or prevent fermentation altogether because they prevent the yeast from reproducing. I am no expert, but I think that the flavors you refer to are far more likely to be caused by a pH that is too high (insufficient acidity) or possibly too high a fermentation temperature...

Could have been the low ph - around 3 which I raised to 3.7 but three days after fermentation kicked off. I was wondering if I was getting those off flavours because of the sudden change in ph I made or the sudden addition of apple juice. In future I will add things that change the character of the must little at a time.