PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Do I need Pectin, Tannin, Campden, and Acid Blend?

msheald
09-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Hello! I have decided to try a first mead - a peach melomel. I plan on adding the fruit during secondary fermentation.

I purchased a Fresh Harvest Fruit Winemaking Kit. I used one package (0.176 oz) of Red Star Montrachet yeast with about 1/16 tsp of the yeast nutrient. and let it sit in a clean bowl for about 20 minutes.

I used 3.5 pounds of honey and heated it up with some spring water and when it cooled, I poured it into a one gallon glass carboy that had been prepped with the cleanser. When the yeast had some bubbles, I poured it in and the rest of the spring water.

This morning, after about 12 hours, there is a gentle fermentation started.

Does one ever use the other winemaking supplies when making mead - the potassium sorbate, acid blend, campden pectin, and wine tannin? Best regards.

Mike

msheald
09-30-2015, 03:55 PM
From my reading, I plan to add about 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient every other day starting on day 1 for a total of 1 tsp. It looks like the pectic would be added with the peaches with the secondary fermentation. The acid if I want more "zing," though I think I will pass on this at this time. It looks like Cambden and sorbate would be added just before bottling since I am adding the fruit during secondary fermentation.

Do these sound appropriate? Best regards.

Mike

Squatchy
09-30-2015, 05:29 PM
You don't want to just arbitrarily toss things in. It's best to make any adjustment as you need them. Although you do want to follow a plan for your feeding protocol. Wait on the acid. Yes pectin will help with the peaches. Tannin adds some "grip" if you like that sort of thing or if it needs some help at the end. Sorbate and sulphites as described at the appropriate time.

valverij
09-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Just a quick clarification, you would use pectinase (ie, pectic enzyme), not pectin. Pectinase breaks down pectin, which will help your fruit meads clear (pectin clouds up your mead).

Squatchy
09-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Just a quick clarification, you would use pectinase (ie, pectic enzyme), not pectin. Pectinase breaks down pectin, which will help your fruit meads clear (pectin clouds up your mead).

Good catch the Valverji. Yes indeed ,,, it's pectinaze one would add to deal with the haze

msheald
10-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Thanks!

Mike