PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight Meadery Last Apple "clone" wanted

Mrmaxx
09-30-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm looking to make my first mead/metheglyn. I drank a bottle of Moonlight Meadery's Last Apple the other night. THat's GOOD stuff! I want to clone it for a couple reasons: 1) it's bloody expensive ($22/23 for 375ml) and 2) it's a limited edition. They don't go into much detail other than that they use fresh apple juice/cider, honey and age it in oak barrels.
Does anyone have suggestions on a) what TYPE of honey to use, b) how much, c) what yeast (would Bourgovin work? It's supposed to put off fruity esters) d) instead of aging on oak barrels, would something like oak spirals work? e) if oak spirals work, what type of oak spirals and how much for how long? :)
As I said, I'm pretty new to mead, but I've done a LOT of ciders (been making variations on the Caramel Apple Hard Cider from Homebrewtalk for awhile... about 20-30 gallons of it so far! :D)

gr8nhbrewer
10-02-2015, 05:57 PM
So we started with the last pressing of apples in the season, that's here in NH, around March, it takes twice as many apples to get that same gallon of cider as it would in say October. With that we blended the honey and cider, 25%/75% of each by volume. We use L-71B yeast, with staggered nutrients, and let it age and ferment in freshly emptied Jim Beam bourbon barrels.

Cheers,
Michael
Moonlight Meadery LLC

gr8nhbrewer
10-02-2015, 05:58 PM
We used Wild Flower honey.

zpeckler
10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
OMG... This is exactly why I love the meadmaking community!

mannye
10-04-2015, 12:38 AM
So we started with the last pressing of apples in the season, that's here in NH, around March, it takes twice as many apples to get that same gallon of cider as it would in say October. With that we blended the honey and cider, 25%/75% of each by volume. We use L-71B yeast, with staggered nutrients, and let it age and ferment in freshly emptied Jim Beam bourbon barrels.

Cheers,
Michael
Moonlight Meadery LLC

Oh man that sounds sooo good! Did you send any of that stuff down to Miami? I'm doing a Total Wine run and I think I saw some of your bottles there (maybe?)

Mrmaxx
10-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much for the information! I would LOVE to drink your stuff more often, as it's so tasty! Unfortunately, it's so expensive and I've only seen it in one place. :(

ScottBehrens
11-29-2015, 01:03 PM
I thought I liked Kurts Apple Pie. I was not a apple person at all till I got my hands on a bottle of this and found out what it can be. New passion.

Manny, if its not at the store, you can get it thru vinoshipper. As Ben Stiller says, Doo it. You wont be sorry.

Mrmaxx
07-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Cheers,
Michael
Moonlight Meadery LLC

Hi, Michael... just now getting a hankering again to try making a Cyser. Did you use Cider apples (one would assume) or regular eating apples? Do you think it would be OK. to just add a can of frozen apple juice concentrate and maybe some wine tannin or a family-size teabag for tannin (family-size for 5 gallons of Cyser.) I really appreciate you responding last year... Sorry I didn't subscribe to my own thread. :)

Stasis
07-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Hi, Michael... just now getting a hankering again to try making a Cyser. Did you use Cider apples (one would assume) or regular eating apples? Do you think it would be OK. to just add a can of frozen apple juice concentrate and maybe some wine tannin or a family-size teabag for tannin (family-size for 5 gallons of Cyser.) I really appreciate you responding last year... Sorry I didn't subscribe to my own thread. :)

Since eating apples are found year round I assume he was referring to cider apples. There are many threads about cider vs eating apples (on these forums and others) and I think all the ones I saw preferred cider apples. About changing the recipe: you could always change a recipe but then again you wanted a clone of their recipe and were told exactly how to do it by the people who actually make it. Can't get any better than that.

In my opinion: There are some good oak cubes out there, including cubes from used whisky barrels such as this https://www.morebeer.com/products/bourbon-oak-cubes-2-oz.html Oak and grape or tea tannin are simply not the same for various reasons. I would try one with regular oak and one with bourbon oak to see which I prefer.
I know I'm responding to something addressed to someone else, but I think those guys might be busy with a meadery.. It is already very cool that they replied to this thread once as it is