• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Want to start making my own mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

jbelgarde

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2015
Want to take up making mead now that I am retired
Any input on getting started?
Books etc
I am in Portland OR so access to equipment will not be a problem we are the micro brew capitol also have access to many different yeast strains

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I suggest that you get hold of Ken Schramm's classic - The Compleat Meadmaker (Brewers Publications) or a more recent title
Steve Piatz' The Complete Guide to Making Mead (Voyageur Press)... Both provide solid and well-written information.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Welcome to the forums. There is plenty of info to be had here as well. Look for the Newbee's guide. If you join as a patron just the recipies alone are worth more than a years subscription fee. And by the way, folks around here (Denver) are told we live in the microw brew capitol of the world ;P

jbelgarde

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2015
At least we both live in civilized parts of the country that recognizes the importance of good home brew

Beek20

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2014
And I thought it was here in Grand Rapids, MI. Haha!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Books etc
I am in Portland OR so access to equipment will not be a problem we are the micro brew capitol also have access to many different yeast strains

Check out the last two articles on the page at this link: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/category/articles/

This was my first mead recipe about 12 months ago: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/brays-one-month-mead/

Have fun,
Scott

jbelgarde

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2015
Got the kindle edition of kens book very inexpesive
Lots of information to absorb
Going to start purchasing all the hardware, found a good local source of different types of honey from a reputable lady
Have a room in my house set aside for the art of making mead

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Going to start purchasing all the hardware, found a good local source of different types of honey from a reputable lady

Make some BOMM so you have some mead to drink in as little as 1 month.

Thig

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2014
Georgia, USA

Do you still want the print edition, if not I will pass along to someone else?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Books etc

find the JAOM recipe on here and make that. You don't even need any special equipment or ingredients. You can be ready to go with one trip to the supermarket.

jbelgarde

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2015
Do you still want the print edition, if not I will pass along to someone else?
I can print the pages i need
I am very grateful for your generosity
Please pass the print copy to another aspiring mead maker
Going to go work on my mead making room.
Once again thank you

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns